I got massive Mint XFCE-CE performance issues

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I got massive Mint XFCE-CE performance issues

Postby Bicycle-Rider on Tue May 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Well, not exactly me, but both installations that I did for my Fiance and a friend. Only the one on my own Thinkpad T42 runs smoothly.

My Girl has my old Thinkpad X21 (700MHz PIII / 256MB RAM), on which - after some hour(s) of running - Firefox starts to use up more than 70-80% of the CPU. Previously she had a nice XFCE-Kanotix (also Debian-based, with a new stock-kernel) wich ran perfectly smooth and flawless. I installed Mint on her machine because of the neat software installation and management tools ... and because of the beautyfull design ;-P.

The most what she does is surfing with firefox (incl. Flash-plugin for youtube), writing in OpenOffice and chatting via Skype. I also recognized that mint-update used to suck a lot of atention from the processor and had it shuted off because of that.

And the second machine - wich is the desktop of a friend of mine - a PIV 1.8GHz with only 256MB of RAM also is reported to run very 'gooey' like walking in a swamp.

Any Ideas? My Fiance is already stomping my head because her system tends to hang itself up in its slowness every now and then - and she needs it for her University-homeworks. Thanks for the attention :-)
Bicycle-Rider
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I got massive Mint XFCE-CE performance issues

Postby Husse on Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 pm

The Firefox problem is a "Firefox problem" - FF can be resource hungry
PIV 1.8GHz with only 256MB of RAM

This is probably one of the first P4 with terrible performance - not much better than your PIII 700 (yes!)
But it's very hard to say what is wrong with so few facts
I believe Merlwiz will start on a Elyssa xfce - lets hope that'll happen
(Remember that the Community editions cannot be guaranteed to progress - except the KDE which i treated almost as the main)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Bicycle-Rider on Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 pm

I gladly supply you with more facts if you tell me what information would be helpful to corner these issues. I have set up complete standard systems, and at least those to wich I'm in directly contact with (mine and my Girls) are fully up-to-date (I also corrected the faulty sources.list).
Bicycle-Rider
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue May 13, 2008 5:10 pm

I am currently working on Elyssa XFCE CE.
I am currently looking at the Elyssa main Beta Live cd and it takes 10 tab to get to 70MBs in Firefox.
Also mintUpdate has been worked on and should not* use as much memory as before.
Here's the latest mintUpdate from Romeo(testing) repo. http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/poo ... 3_i386.deb
You don't really need mintUpdate running, just run it once a week.

You can also turn off services not used.(like bluetooth)

You could also try a different bowser.
Seamonkey viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10508&p=71902#p71902
Flock viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9895&p=71745#p71745
Swiftfox (in Synaptic)
epiphany-browser (in Synaptic)
opera (in Synaptic)
* a little word added by husse :)
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Bicycle-Rider on Tue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Merlwiz, thanks for the tips! You wrote that it takes ten tabs to get to 70MB for Firefox, but that wasn't exactly my Problem (maybe I wrote it a bit too complicated - if yes - please excuse me I'm German ;-)). The Problem was that FF produces 70-80% of CPU-Load. Sometimes even more. And at some point the system is so overloaded, that it freezes completely. But I can't tell if FF is causing this, because I can't even get a terminal to open when it comes that far.

I'll take a look at the services and sort out what's needed and what not. I would also give Swiftfox a try if it is likely to help speed things up a little.

I guess the Elyssa you speak of is the successor of Daryna? Would it be necessary to make an dedicated update/installation from a new CD, or could I just update my sources and do a dist-upgrade when you release it?

And what you surely hear a lot (but it is absolutely justified!): Linux Mint is the Distro I searched for for a long Time! It is the perfect balance between easy-to-use-nes and fully debian-like configure- and controleability. I really love it because its great work and very well thought-through! THANKS TO YOU AND ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES A HUNDRED TIMES!! (yes I'm soon going to donate a (subjectively) big amount of money to the project :-))

(Sorry that wanted out)
Bicycle-Rider
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed May 14, 2008 7:12 pm

There will be away of updating from Daryna to Elyssa some time ofter the stable comes out.
I try to make it easier for people by using a script to do most of the work for you.

I don't know why it would use 80% to 90% of the cpu.
Have you tried uninstalling all the add-ons.
Then reinstalling one and testing which could be the problem.
Also have you tried backing up the ~/.mozilla folder and deleting it and starting from scratch.(export bookmarks and all)
You might have some bad settings messing it up.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Arron on Wed May 14, 2008 8:08 pm

I cant wait for there to be the new Elyssa XFCE! I love Darnya XFCE, and that is after a lot of distro hopping, its my new home. Good luck, i know it is no small task, and I really hope XFCE gains more support to make it a mainstream distro within Mint.

Arron
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri May 16, 2008 6:43 pm

This may also be your problem.
viewtopic.php?p=77696#p77696
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby astromech on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Beta 8 XfCE Daryna is the first Mint I tried. I only ran it it off the cd, but man was it slow! It took almost ten minutes to boot ! Once it was loaded it wasn't super slow, but it was nothing compared to zenwalk live, or vector. Mint XFCE is nice in most ways .Maybe i just got a bad download or burn .if not, it just isn't ready for my comp yet! Hp Compaq D530 P4 2.66 Ghz W/ 512 MB RAM .Happily The Daryna KDE version is excellent And runs quite well In terms of both features and performance.It also ran much faster as a live cd than the xfce version.
I wish the XFCE team all the best of luck with their work!
astromech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:54 pm

astromech wrote:Beta 8 XfCE Daryna is the first Mint I tried. I only ran it it off the cd, but man was it slow! It took almost ten minutes to boot ! Once it was loaded it wasn't super slow, but it was nothing compared to zenwalk live, or vector. Mint XFCE is nice in most ways .Maybe i just got a bad download or burn .if not, it just isn't ready for my comp yet! Hp Compaq D530 P4 2.66 Ghz W/ 512 MB RAM .Happily The Daryna KDE version is excellent And runs quite well In terms of both features and performance.It also ran much faster as a live cd than the xfce version.
I wish the XFCE team all the best of luck with their work!

I never had the KDE CE run faster than XFCE CE on my PC.
P4EE 2.8Ghz FSB 800Mz
1GB RAM DDr400
Custom Built
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to XFCE