Dual monitor setup under Mint 15 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual monitor setup under Mint 15 XFCE

Postby bleakcabal on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 am

Hello,

I have just installed Linux Mint 15 XFCE edition 64 bit this morning. My computer has two monitors plugged in the same video card.

By default both monitors are showing the exact same thing. A "mirror" like setting. I would want both monitor to be independent and be able to show different windows.

From searching these forums I gathered this could be done using the proprietery nvidia drivers. I would rather not install them since they had caused problems in my previous Ubuntu installation on the same machine (which I had prior to Mint).

Is it possible to accomplish this without installing the nvidia drivers ?

Thanks.
bleakcabal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual monitor setup under Mint 15 XFCE

Postby rlillard on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a similar problem, which may have the same solution. I'm guessing a config file is not being read at login time. I have installed the recommended Nvidia 310 driver. I have used nvidia-config-settings to get my laptop display (1920x1200) and my external monitor (same size) to work in twin view (3840x1200). I have no trouble setting this configuration. I save it to the X configuration file. The next time I log in, my system comes up as seperate displays with identical content whcih seems to be some kind of default.
rlillard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mimix on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 pm

You can try arandr: sudo apt-get install arandr. Works for me :)
mimix
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bcc4foss on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 pm

I just installed Mint 15 XFCE for the first time today and found your post while looking for a solution to exact same problem. I had many issues on the older PC that I'm using when installing the Nvidia drivers under Mint 15 Cinnimon so switched to XFCE and everything seems to be more stable. I ran into the same issue as you explain and wanted to stick with the standard driver. Anyway enough preamble. There is a pretty simple way to do what you want just using the standard Mint XFCE Installed software: For example to get the second monitor to be independent and to the right of the 1st monitor:
1 - Turn on and enable both monitors using Settings => Display (You can also do this using just the Settings Editor below but Display method is easier for basic enabling and setup of display attributes)
2 - Then select Settings => Settings Editor => "displays" Channel
3 - Set the second (right) Monitor -> position -> "X" Property to the number of pixels you have set for the X resolution of your first (left) monitor and SAVE. For example in my case I have two old 19" LCD 4:3 monitors set to max resolution 1280x1024, so I set the Position->X property integer value to "1280"
4 - logout and log back in so that the display setting changes are applied to your session.
presto, everything works as I want and no additional software or drivers needed.
See http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/12/how-to-dual-monitor-setup-on-xfce.html for more detail with images.
Cheers
bcc4foss
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE