Mint 13, Maya, XFCE, Netflix-Desktop

Forums for the Xfce Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 13, Maya, XFCE, Netflix-Desktop

Postby klloyd on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Ive followed the directions of this site, which are the same as several others out there.

http://www.howtogeek.com/130372/how-to- ... sktop-app/

The actual respositories SAY they are not available, but I know good and well they they are. I have two other computers with Mint 13 MATE on them, and they work just fine.... So can I get some help setting it up to pull the netflix desktop down? I know enough to know its because its xfce, but i dont know enough to know how to fix it.

Thanks
klloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 13, Maya, XFCE, Netflix-Desktop

Postby klloyd on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 pm

noone?
klloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Adelante on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Do you have installed?

Code: Select all
ttf-mscorefonts
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 16 KDE
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby uncndl1 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm

The link you posted has the correct commands to get started in Terminal: I used the tutorial on Utube found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfte5su5DIA
Now I can watch Netflix while on my Linux Toughbook.
Cheers,
Cleve
"Enjoy life to the fullest today as tomorrow may be too late"

Mint16XFCE, Panasonic Toughbooks - CF-19, CF-29, CF-30 - Touchscreen(s), GPS, BT, Wine
http://www.howtogeek.com/105271/
uncndl1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby klloyd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:11 pm

You misunderstand.. those commands work fine, for mate, gnome, kde... NOT lxde, openbox, or xfce. No repository is found with same commands in xfce. I've found a few others who have asked in other ways, but I dont think they know enough about linux to know how to ask. I think I've asked as well as I can, but with little experience with xfce, I can not get it working. Its just not easy finding something as fast as windows xp ( VERY OLD ) as fast, little resources, net flix on the smallest of system requirements. (not to mention micro xp) I have to go back to mint 5 to be in the same size and speed range to compete. I have a dual core atom with ion gpu on the tv, I can not find a thing in the linux realm to run netflix on it. Just not fast enough, not even for hulu. Xfce might do it with it tiny requirements. BUT, no netflix desktop... cant get the repositories to load. So for months I've been trying different linux distros to play hulu and when possible, netflix on this little ion that windows xp currently has control over and plays with out a hiccup. This is the next to last windows computer in the house... I have it in my sights!!!
klloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MtnDewManiac on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 am

klloyd wrote:You misunderstand.. those commands work fine, for mate, gnome, kde... NOT lxde, openbox, or xfce. No repository is found with same commands in xfce.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Mint repos are Mint repos; it matters not which DE one chooses. IOW, my Mint Xfce system and another's Mint MATE system would have the exact same sources list (until one user or the other chooses to modify the list).

Now the above is assuming that both systems are of the same Mint version, of course. If I've misunderstood what you're typing - quite possible, since I'm not exactly clear on what you are stating - and you're stating that you're currently using Mint 5 and aren't finding what you're looking for in its repos... That would make sence, because Mint 5 has been obsolete - as in, has been out of its support period - since April, 2011, and, therefore, its repos are no longer maintained (and I would not be at all surprised to learn that they are... gone).

If you're stating that the newest version of Mint that you can run on that netbook or whatever the thing is, is Mint 5 and wondering how you can view/use the Netflix website on it... My guess would be that you can't. Compholio has built/patched a custom setup of Wine in order to get it to install/run the Microsoft OS version of Firefox and Microsoft's Silverlight (IIRC), but to actually work it takes more than that. I'd guess that the reason you cannot run newer versions of Mint - since the change to a PAE kernel wasn't until Mint 13 - has to do with graphics drivers, specifically that you're unable to get the newest version that works with that hardware to work in newer versions of Mint (than 5). You might try contacting Compholio and asking for advice, but my guess would be that he has no interest in developing a special version of his work that will successfully run on an operating system that has been out of support for over two years.

You might find some benefit in doing a web search for linux distros that are specifically tailored to run on such low-spec hardware as the Intel Atom with Ion graphics (surely there are some distros out there that do?), perhaps at least one of them manages to do so with more or less current versions of apps/components? Or, failing that, maybe you would have luck trying to run Debian Old I mean stable, IDK. I did do a little searching and saw "Hi again, just an FYI I tried this now on OpenSuSE 12.2 and it’s still broken with Intel graphics. On my Zotac ION Mini PC with NVIDIA ION graphics and Debian Squeeze 6.0 this works perfectly." So maybe Debian might be a viable solution (depending on how your system's specs compares to that Zotac, and whether or not Debian 6 is still considered current).

Failing that, is it possible to install Android OS - or one of its variants - on your hardware, either directly or through virtualization software such as VirtualBox? If you can, can achieve acceptable performance, and you can get a graphics driver to function well, you could probably view Netflix videos that way.

Or you could use Microsoft's Windows XP OS, since you know you can view Netflix under it. Not a choice that I'd consider to be a palatable one, but if you've already got a legitimate license for XP, it's probably a cheaper method than upgrading your hardware to something decent.

Best of luck to you,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Postby andreas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

klloyd wrote:Ive followed the directions of this site, which are the same as several others out there.

http://www.howtogeek.com/130372/how-to- ... sktop-app/

The actual respositories SAY they are not available, but I know good and well they they are. I have two other computers with Mint 13 MATE on them, and they work just fine.... So can I get some help setting it up to pull the netflix desktop down? I know enough to know its because its xfce, but i dont know enough to know how to fix it.

I use Netflix Desktop on my machine with Mint 13 Xfce. It works great. The instructions for installation are no different for the Xfce edition than for the other Ubuntu-based editions of Mint. You simply need to add the ppa, using the instructions given in your link. If it doesn't work for some reason it has nothing to do with Xfce. In general, a ppa that works with Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) will also work with Mint 13 Xfce edition.

Are you perhaps using the Linux Mint Debian Edition (instead of the Ubuntu-based edition)? If so, that could be your problem.

Andreas
andreas
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Adelante on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:46 pm

This is recently in the repository and can be installed with Synaptic. It's working fine for me in LM 15 Cinnamon, LXDE and Openbox. I haven't tried in Xfce. I didn't have to uninstall anything or undo any steps I had taken before to have Netflix.

Netflix Desktop provides a convient tool that downloads and installs all of the components necessary to run Netflix under Wine.

This includes the Windows version of Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Silverlight v4. The package also includes some convience settings to integrate Netflix Desktop into Firefox in such a way that everything feels like a native Ubuntu application.

klloyd wrote:You misunderstand.. those commands work fine, for mate, gnome, kde... NOT lxde, openbox, or xfce.
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 16 KDE
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby uncndl1 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm perplexed that the original op could not get Netflix to work- I'm running Linux Mate 32 bit with the Xfce4 added after all updates installed, and it works just fine. Check out this link: http://xfce.org/
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/mi ... enu-plugin
Here's a link from the developer: https://launchpad.net/~gottcode/+archive/gcppa
As you can see, the Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 is certainly a spartan system (not for gaming) and I watch Netflix all the time. Possibly you could try a LTS version such as Linux Mint 13 Mate and add the Xfce afterwards with Synaptic Package Manager. You might be really surprised. All the best. Cleve
"Enjoy life to the fullest today as tomorrow may be too late"

Mint16XFCE, Panasonic Toughbooks - CF-19, CF-29, CF-30 - Touchscreen(s), GPS, BT, Wine
http://www.howtogeek.com/105271/
uncndl1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andreas on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:38 am

Another option is to use Pipelight. Pipelight is a new project that allows you to run Silverlight applications--including Netflix streaming--in native Linux browsers. It works in both Firefox and Chrome/Chromium. The original Netflix Desktop app runs the Windows version of Firefox (via a special version of Wine). The need to run the Windows version of Firefox is avoided with Pipelight. I have tested it out in Linux Mint 13 Xfce edition (64-bit) with the Linux versions of both Firefox and Chrome. In both cases the Netflix streaming app loads faster than with the original Netflix Desktop. As for video quality, all of the alternatives work really well, and I have not yet been able to discern a "winner". Perhaps this will change with more use. Here are the basic instructions for installing Pipelight:

http://fds-team.de/cms/articles/2013-08 ... wsers.html

A very important step is to install a user agent switcher, so that you can "fool" Netflix into believing that you are using a Windows machine. This can be done in Firefox and Chrome using extensions. Here is a good discussion of how to do this:

https://answers.launchpad.net/pipelight/+faq/2351

Several different user agent extensions are available. I tried a number of them, and they do NOT all work. As is noted in the above FAQ, in Firefox you should use "user-agent-overrider", NOT "user-agent-switcher". In the Chrome store there are three extensions with the name "user-agent switcher". Listed by the number of downloads, I tried the first and the third. The first one (the one with the most downloads) works, but the third one did not.

In each case, once the extension is installed you need to select a user agent string using a dropdown menu. With Firefox (using "user-agent-overrider") I found that "Firefox22/Windows" works well. With Chrome I use "Windows Firefox 15".

Andreas
andreas
Level 1
Level 1

Postby klloyd on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:16 pm

I actually was running the mint 13, never did get the netflix desktop OR the pipelight to work with it. It simply will not load the source, I can actually go in and add it to the source list file, and it will still error out as no server found... I gave up after a few days of working on it. I did resort to going to a stronger pc to do the trick. With that being said... I'm back on the trail again since the pipelight project has gotten more mature, I may take it on my self to try again. The ION works great in linux, and the graphics card is a champ. I play some of the old games on here like UT2004, Quake 3 and such... battle field 1942, it handles them all with no trouble.
Now in xp, it really flies... but running xp was not the goal. Again, I wanted to make netfllix work on here. I've not given up... not completely. Its not as important to me though, as I assembled a much faster computer for the living room that does handle it well.
Thanks.
klloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby klloyd on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:20 pm

When I said ming 13, I meant to say xfce desktop. The system I am currently running is a core2duo 1.8, runs pipelight just fine on a standard mint 13 mate install. I will take on the ION again this weeking some time.
klloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Domingo Medina on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:46 am

You will have to add PPA (Personal Packages Archives) in order to install Netflix on Linux Mint.

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

To install Netflix Desktop on Ubuntu and Linux Mint

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

source: http://namhuy.net/1867/how-to-install-netflix-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-and-fedora.html
Domingo Medina
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Xfce