How to replace LM 13 Lxde with LM 15 xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to replace LM 13 Lxde with LM 15 xfce?

Postby pion33r on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 am

I have a netbook with windows xp, HDD at 160gb, I partitioned it c = 55gb and d = 105gb. 5 days ago I decided to multiboot it with LM 13 lxde making drive c = 30 gb and giving 25gb to LM, D is the same. Today someone answer my previous questions and gave a good news, that my processor is actually 64 bit. And since I really want to try linux mint 15 xfce. I want to remove LXDE. Problem is how do I remove it without formating xp? Is it possible for me to install xfce on lxde space? And how can I do it?

:wink:
:wink:
pion33r
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to replace LM 13 Lxde with LM 15 xfce?

Postby wayne128 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:05 am

pion33r wrote:And since I really want to try linux mint 15 xfce. I want to remove LXDE. Problem is how do I remove it without formating xp? Is it possible for me to install xfce on lxde space? And how can I do it?

You DO NOT need to remove lxde.

You can install XFCE on the same partition that lxde was previously installed.

Of course installer should not touch your WinXP unless you are so unlucky that installer had bug.

How to do?
1. first thing is to know where are all the partitions
2. you can boot the USB flash with LM15xfce, then open a terminal, run these commands and post here

sudo fdisk -l

sudo parted -l

sudo os-prober
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:03 am

in case you still want to install it over LXDE, you just need to choose "something else" in the Installation type (here a tutorial with pics), then go and delete the Lxde partition, create a smaller partition and select / as the mount point, then create another even smaller one and select /home as mount point. This allows you to distro-hop more easily, and to upgrade to next versions with far less pain (as 15 isn't a long-term support release, won't last more than a year).

SIze of home partition depends from how much stuff you plan to keep in it, of course.

I wouldn't waste partitions for swap or boot, create a swap file as explained here after you installed everything.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pion33r on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 am

:D

Thank you so much specially you bobafetthotmail

:D
pion33r
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE