I've taken the liberty of copying the below from the Newbie section where it has not got any replies.
After installation, "Failed to start the X server" error
Postby mintisthebest on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:56 pm
Please left me describe the lengthy sequence of events. It may be long winded but I hope it will contain the information an expert requires to tell me how to fix things. I am a complete newbie to Linux so would appreciate specific detailed step-by-step instructions about exactly what to do please.
My computer is a Dell Dimension L700CXE, with a 698Mhz CPU and 512MB Ram. I have an old Matrox mga video card. I had tried a variety of Linux OS's in the search for the best one. I previously had Debian LXDE installed which worked OK. But even so I know nothing about Linux and have never used it before.
1. I ran linuxmint-13-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso (ie Maya with xfce) as a live CD. Worked perfectly. Very impressed, Mint is so much better than anything else. I only recently found out about xfce and LXDE meaning that I could run Mint even on my low spec computer.
2. During the install no problems.
3. After restart got an error message about the X server, probably the same as what I copied down later. Computer would not go any further and I had to turn it off.
4. I restarted with the mint livedvd in the dvd drive, but from the menu I chose the option to restart from the hard drive. I thought this might fix things perhaps. Everything worked OK, no problems.
5. I removed the DVD and restarted as normal. No problems, everything OK.
6. I shut the computer down and restarted. Everything seemed to be OK and I used Firefox a little. But when I closed Firefox I got just black instead of the Mint wallpaper. And when I right-clicked on the dektop nothing happens - no menu.
7. Restarted computer again but got this long error message again (copied it by hand so have left bits out and may have mistakes):
"Failed to start the X server
X. Org X Server 1.11.3
Protocol version 11, revision 0
Buildoperating system: Linux
user l700cxe 3.2.0-23-generic#36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:31:14 UTC 2012 i686
Kernal command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinu-3.2.0 -23-generic root=UUID=61e74ac0-68ff-45ff-b8a0-36-fa9c2bc055 vo quiet splash vt.handoff=7
8. Restarted. It worked OK but had just black where the mint wallpaper should be. I allowed hundreds of updates to be done (there were two updates that asked me if I wanted to update some sort of a script or keep the old one - I kept the old one both times - do not know if that was right) .
9. Restarted again. Seems to work OK but just black where the mint wallpaper should be, and nothing happens when I right-click on the black. Am using it to write this posting.
Please tell me what I need to do to fix things? Please give step by step instructions as I am a complete Linux newby.
I will not mind if this is too technical for the newbie section and it is transferred to some other group on the forum.