Screensaver turned off but still active

Forums for the Xfce Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Screensaver turned off but still active

Postby nomko on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:34 am

Hi everybody,

I have a 2nd desktop on which Mint 13 Xfce is running. I've disabled the screensaver through the normal ways but it is still active. Screensaver is disabled using the configuration-tool and it is removed as an auto-start application. Searching with Google gives me only solutions to switch off the screenssaver using the configuration menu.

Is there some trick to switch off the screensaver under Xfce 4.10 for good? As it is now it's an annoying thing when i'm watching a movie on the computer....
Any useful and on-topic help would be very much appreciated!

Specifications
System: Host: multimedia-pc Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 09F0h Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 786D1 v01.03 date: 05/18/2005
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3)
Clock Speeds: 1: 2800.00 MHz 2: 2800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.0
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:15:60:a0:da:41
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1580.3GB (4.3% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD800JD 80.0GB
2: USB /dev/sdb HD154UI 1500.3GB
Partition: ID: / size: 73G used: 64G (92%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info: Processes: 133 Uptime: 5 days Memory: 159.4/2005.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everthing!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screensaver turned off but still active

Postby olle on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:40 am

olle
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gold_finger on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 am

Not sure if this will be of any help, but taking a couple stabs in the dark.

If screen going blank after period of time, check under Settings -> Power Manager -> On AC -> Monitor (tab) and move slider(s) all the way to left ("Never").

If screen is going into an actual screensaver (ie. moving images) that is strange. If you installed xscreensaver, check to be sure you don't still have gnome-screensaver on the computer. (Xfce comes with gnome-screensaver on it.) If that's the case it might be what's causing problem, so just remove gnome-screensaver and see if that solves problem.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gold_finger on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:49 am

One more stab in the dark.

Do you have computer hooked-up to a TV?

If so, is it possible that the TV has settings itself to turn-off idle screen or activate a screensaver after x amount of idle time? Reason I ask is because I have one computer hooked-up to TV and couldn't figure out why screen would blank after x minutes while watching movies despite my settings to not do that in Mint. Turned out to be the TV settings that had to be changed, not the computer's.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby nomko on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:38 am

gold_finger wrote:Settings -> Power Manager -> On AC -> Monitor (tab) and move slider(s) all the way to left ("Never").

Done that already. Doesn't help. And as i already said ==> I've disabled the screensaver through the normal ways but it is still active

gold_finger wrote:If screen is going into an actual screensaver (ie. moving images) that is strange. If you installed xscreensaver, check to be sure you don't still have gnome-screensaver on the computer. (Xfce comes with gnome-screensaver on it.) If that's the case it might be what's causing problem, so just remove gnome-screensaver and see if that solves problem.

Not sure what you mean here.....
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby nomko on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:38 am

gold_finger wrote:One more stab in the dark.

Do you have computer hooked-up to a TV?

If so, is it possible that the TV has settings itself to turn-off idle screen or activate a screensaver after x amount of idle time? Reason I ask is because I have one computer hooked-up to TV and couldn't figure out why screen would blank after x minutes while watching movies despite my settings to not do that in Mint. Turned out to be the TV settings that had to be changed, not the computer's.

Checked everything. TV doesn't have a screensaver itself..

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gold_finger on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:21 pm

nomko wrote: gold_finger wrote:If screen is going into an actual screensaver (ie. moving images) that is strange. If you installed xscreensaver, check to be sure you don't still have gnome-screensaver on the computer. (Xfce comes with gnome-screensaver on it.) If that's the case it might be what's causing problem, so just remove gnome-screensaver and see if that solves problem.

Not sure what you mean here.....

I just installed Mint 13 Xfce on someone's computer yesterday and now know why my statement above caused confusion. Mint 14 (what I use) is the version that comes with gnome-screensaver on it; Mint 13 does not. So, yes -- what I said makes absolutely no sense for your situation. Sorry.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why it's not working properly. Hopefully you find an answer.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby nomko on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:30 am

Still struggling with this. Still can't find a solution. All solutions given on the internet (search with Google) only leads to paths and roads I've already tried walking. Solutions like removing it from autostart to unable it in some screensaver setting.....

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby jjaythomas on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 am

I believe (if using 2 monitors/tv thru hdmi)
Both have a screensaver but Xfce (currently in LMint15) only shows one and the other uses the default (not shown)

I deactivate my monitor using the 'lxrandr' app/package and put it on the panel. That way I can use the TV/HDMI and turn off the monitor. And if dont use save just apply, it reverts back at re-login (if forget). :oops:
Xubuntu/Ubuntu Xfce package 13.10 uses a new display 'settings' app, so Lmint 16 will probally also. Not sure if new will let change power/screensaver indipendently thou :?

J.Jay
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nomko on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 am

**UPDATE**

I removed all the screensaver packages in synaptic and still the screensaver is working (even after a reboot). I think i'll check the settings of my tv tonight, maybe somebody played with the settings.....

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby nomko on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:41 am

Checked my TV last night and as said above in one of my earlier post's: my LCD screen doesn't have a screensaver or a screensaver enabled (and active). I removed the package gnome-screensaver already and rebooted the system and still a screensaver is active. I can't figure out what's going here, or do i miss something???

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby eanfrid on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 am

Maybe I skipped this but you don't say what are the symptoms: does the screen go to black and then turns off or do you see an animated graphic show on the screen ?

Edit: also did you simply uninstall xfce-power-manager and purge all remaining unused config files with
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude purge ~c
:?:
No, Linux is not a Windows clone for free - Before asking any question here...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's razor)

Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.12 kernel - MATE 1.8
eanfrid
Level 6
Level 6

Postby olle on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:07 am

You say "screensaver" ... is it just dimming and blackening the display ?
I have nor Xfce, I do not know if "xset" is relevant..

What do you get if you run

Code: Select all
xset q

I very much doubt it is your display's DPMS .
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MtnDewManiac on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am

nomko wrote:screensaver

Screensaver app or just blacking the screen? If the former, are you talking about xscreensaver or gnome-screensaver - and is it displaying one specific hack, or are you getting a random hack every time the screensaver activates?

And what, exactly, have you tried to disable this action? "The normal ways" isn't very informative.

As mentioned previously, if you have both xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver installed, you could have issues because of that (you should only have one of them installed).

If it is blanking the screen - as opposed to running one of the many screensaver hacks - then it could be something other than one of the actual screensaver apps running when it isn't supposed to.

BtW, I use (and recommend) xscreensaver. It never activates while I'm watching a video in VLC (Mint 14 XFCE). YMMV, of course, but it plays nice with my system and so do the set of hacks that I have told xscreensaver to choose from each time.

Regards,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 am

MtnDewManiac wrote:As mentioned previously, if you have both xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver installed, you could have issues because of that (you should only have one of them installed).

I was the cause of that initial confusion and don't know if you missed what I later wrote on that to original poster, nomko.
gold_finger wrote:I just installed Mint 13 Xfce on someone's computer yesterday and now know why my statement above caused confusion. Mint 14 (what I use) is the version that comes with gnome-screensaver on it; Mint 13 does not. So, yes -- what I said makes absolutely no sense for your situation. Sorry.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gold_finger on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm

@nomko,
Don't know if you're still searching for solution to this, but just saw someone else make post with same issue and a solution was posted that seemed to work for the OP. May want to give it a try also: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=152193

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby nomko on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 am

gold_finger wrote:@nomko,
Don't know if you're still searching for solution to this, but just saw someone else make post with same issue and a solution was posted that seemed to work for the OP. May want to give it a try also: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=152193

Thanks! I'll check that out! Even though Kaffeine is meant for KDE i'll check if i can run it properly on my Xfce desktop.

Copy.com

nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gold_finger on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:09 pm

nomko wrote:Thanks! I'll check that out! Even though Kaffeine is meant for KDE i'll check if i can run it properly on my Xfce desktop.

You may have already realized this, but just in case -- the referenced post is to package called caffeine, which is completely different from Kaffeine for KDE.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Xfce