[SOLVED] Remove Console-Kit

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Remove Console-Kit

Postby mentex on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 am

First, I have to say Mint is an excellent work. Beautiful and well balanced. Please keep doing this excellent work.

Now my question: How to remove console-Kit?

I thought console-Kit helps hardware recognition and address everything to a better functional system, however my video for pc-webcam is not working and should be with this kernel. I'm not capable to compile kernels or drivers or anything, just install the solution via Synaptic or edit manually with mousepad.

I have partitions working properly, but were not mounted automatically like previous versions. I've already read and strongly agree with the opinion on this forum this seems to be an Ubuntu step backwards.

Console-Kit gives the bad feeling you are waisting memory or cpu. Usually Xfce on my computer runs with 50 to 80 tasks and Mem 71 MB ram to 88 MB ram, HTOP information. With Console-Kit, the less I can is 115 tasks and 116 MB ram on boot.

Something is wrong. KDE runs faster with everything working. Gnome runs the same way this Mint Xfce is running, the difference is everything works on Gnome.

I'm doing a test drive on Linux-Mint Elyssa because I like Xfce when it looks beautiful, but will have to wait next release to prove if hw detection goes better.

Please do not consider this post offensive, I'm just want to see a better linux and more easygoing for everyone and Mint is a high quality distro. :wink:

Mentex
Last edited by mentex on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mentex
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Remove Console-Kit

Postby Husse on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Remove Console-Kit

Postby mentex on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 am

Thanks for the link, Husse. :D

"Googleing" I've found a lot of people with the same problem and not only on Ubuntu. The Console-Kit is an optional when developers are building the distro, then becomes part of the system and, at least for Elyssa Xfce, is not possible to remove it. I will have to learn to live with it, Mint-Xfce worths each byte.

Regards,
Mentex
mentex
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE