Mint 13 LTS xfce - mintMenu vs. WhiskerMenu

Forums for the Xfce Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 13 LTS xfce - mintMenu vs. WhiskerMenu

Postby karlchen on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:32 am

Hello, folks.

Mint 13 xfce and the Mate software packages:
When we installed Mint 13 LTS with the xfce desktop way back in 2012, we received quite a few Mate software packages and the XfApplet.
The XfApplet allowed us to use the mintMenu provided by Mate. The Mate Mint Menu looks much better than the genuine xfce Menu which reminds a bit or a lot (?) of Windows 2000. :wink:
Only a few days ago, we, who have deliberately activated the [*] backports option in Software Sources, received the Mint 16 backports of MDM and of the Mate components.

"Backported" Issue:
A bit to my dismay, I had to find out that the updated Mate components were no longer compatible with the XfApplet. As a consequence, on my xfce desktop there is no more Mate Mint Menu. And I am back to the genuine xfce menu.
I understand why Mate had to break compatibility with the old XfApplet. I understand that no-one is going to modify XfApplet in such a way as to enable it to use the backported Mate components. I understand that there is a workaround to re-enable XfApplet for the moment, though it is not quite as simple as suggested by Clem here.
Partially reverting the backported Mate components, however, seems a bit like asking for future trouble to me.

Alternative to Mate Mint Menu:
As starting with Mint 15 xfce, on Mint xfce desktop the Mate Mint Menu has been replaced by the Whisker Menu anyway, applying the same switch to Mint 13 xfce seems like the right thing to do.

Do we need all the (backported) Mate software packages any longer?
As far as I can tell, we Mint 13 xfce users received the Mate components exclusively because they were needed by the Mate Mint Menu. Correct?
In case I replace the old Mate Mint Menu by the Whisker Menu, is there any good reason to keep the Mate software packages on my Mint 13 xfce at all?
Is there any functionality inside Mint 13 xfce other than the no longer functioning Mate Mint Menu that depends on the Mate software packages?

Summed up questions:

(1) Should we give up (Mate) Mint Menu on Mint 13 xfce in favour of Whisker Menu as well?
(2) Might the (backported) Mate software packages be removed from Mint 13 xfce without losing functionality?

Kind regards,
Karl
--
(Corrected a typing error only. And a syntactical error.)
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 13 LTS xfce - mintMenu vs. WhiskerMenu

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 am

I don't have Linux Mint 13 here any longer, but I downloaded the xfce4-xfapplet-plugin package (from here http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Maya) and had a look at the DEBIAN/control file in it.

It depends on these MATE packages: libmatecomponent, libmatecomponentui, libmateconf, libmatecorba
And suggests this MATE package: mate-applets

Doing the same for the mintmenu package, it depens on these MATE packages: python-mate-menu, python-mate-desktop, python-corba, python-mate, libmatepanelapplet, libmatedesktop, mate-menus

I think all of those can be removed and are only in place for the mintMenu to work with the xfce4-xfapplet-plugin. I think that if you give the command:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get --purge autoremove xfce4-xfapplet-plugin mintmenu

That it will already automatically remove all those extra MATE packages along with it.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby karlchen on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:55 am

Hello, xenopeek.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to puzzle this out for me. :-)
I guess the idea of checking the dependencies of xfce4-xfapplet-plugin and mintmenu should have occurred to me! :oops:
Well, at least I might try the suggested commandline with the --dry-run option to find out what it will do before actually applying it.
The idea of removing the no longer needed Mate components is not so much saving diskspace, but the fact that I suspect these compenents will not be used by any other software on a Mint xfce system, so dead freight.

I'll definitely give the Whisker Menu a try ...

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Whisker Menu is mucho nice :D
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby karlchen on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:16 am

Hello, xenopeek.

The Whisker Menu has been added to xfce and replaced the Mint Menu.

As my xfce runs on Mint 13, which corresponds to Ubuntu 12.04.3 by now, I could not use the Whisker Menu package from ppa:gottcode/gcppa. But instead I really have to use the Whisker Menu package from ppa:landronimirc/xfce. - As explained in this article: Install Whisker Menu in Xubuntu. - The Whisker Menu software from the genuine PPA would refuse to launch, because it looked for a shared library which is not present on Mint 13 / Ubuntu 12.04.3 which runs xfce 4.10.

LM13_xfce_whiskermenu.png
LM13 xfce 4.10 with Whisker Menu 1.2.2
As can perhaps be seen the menu colours have been played around with a bit by me. Yet, I have not fully understood how find out which element has got which (class) name. Therefore my styling attempts have been only partially successful so far. - But men need challenges, don't they? :wink:

So far, I am quite happy with the Whisker Menu. It seems to be faster on first startup than the Mint Menu provided by Mate. And its memory footprint seems to be much smaller, which I appreciate on my poorly equipped xfce systems.

Result:
1st task accomplished: Whisker Menu has replaced (Mate) Mint Menu on Linux Mint 13 xfce 4.10 here.

Cheers,
Karl
--
Part 2 to follow soon ...
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby karlchen on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:46 am

Hello, xenopeek.

The (backported) Mate software packages have been removed from my Mint 13 xfce 4.10.

When I ran the suggested command
sudo apt-get --dry-run --purge autoremove xfce4-xfapplet-plugin mintmenu
I did not like the list of software packages to be deleted really: On the one hand, apt-get suggested to remove packages like python-suppport, python-xlib and menu-xdg, which was not to my liking. On the other hand, it did not list all *mate*-packages. The reason for this result was very likely that my Mint 13 xfce had already received the Petra backports. So there was a mix of old and updated Mate packages. And obvioulsy "apt-get autoremove" did not catch them all.

So I resorted to launching my old friend Synaptic, marked all installed *mate* software packages for removal. Synaptic suggested to remove mintmenu and xfce4-xfapplet-plugin as well. All in all 32 packages. Once they were gone I purged 16 of them, because they had left things behind. I will add the complete lists later on, when I am back on my Mint 13 xfce machine. (I am typing this on Ubuntu 12.04.3)

Result:
2nd task accomplished: The (backported) Mate software packages have been removed from my Mint 13 xfce 4.10.

Merry Christmas,
Karl
--
<Added: apt-get/synaptic lists>
  • Simulating the apt-get autoremove command yielded these results:
    ~ $ sudo apt-get --simulate --purge autoremove xfce4-xfapplet-plugin mintmenu
    [sudo] password for karl:
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut       
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
    Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT: (The following packages will be REMOVED:)
      gir1.2-mate-panel* libmate-desktop-2-17* libmate-panel-applet4-1* libmatepolkit* libmateweather-common*
      libmateweather1* libmatewnck-common* libmatewnck0* libunique-1.0-0* mate-desktop* mate-desktop-common* mate-panel*
      mate-panel-common* mate-polkit* menu-xdg* mintmenu* mozo* python-support* python-xlib* xfce4-xfapplet-plugin*
    0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 20 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
    Purg mintmenu [5.5.0]
    Purg gir1.2-mate-panel [1.6.1-0+maya]
    Purg mate-panel [1.6.1-0+maya]
    Purg mate-desktop [1.6.1-1+maya]
    Purg libmate-desktop-2-17 [1.6.1-1+maya]
    Purg libmate-panel-applet4-1 [1.6.1-0+maya]
    Purg mate-polkit [1.6.0-1+maya]
    Purg libmatepolkit [1.6.0-1+maya]
    Purg libmateweather1 [1.6.2-1+maya]
    Purg libmateweather-common [1.6.2-1+maya]
    Purg libmatewnck0 [1.6.1-1+maya]
    Purg libmatewnck-common [1.6.1-1+maya]
    Purg libunique-1.0-0 [1.1.6-4]
    Purg mate-desktop-common [1.6.1-1+maya]
    Purg mate-panel-common [1.6.1-0+maya]
    Purg menu-xdg [0.5] <=================== do we want this?
    Purg mozo [1.6.0-1+maya]
    Purg python-xlib [0.14+20091101-1] <====== do we want this?
    Purg python-support [1.0.14ubuntu2] <===== do we want this?
    Purg xfce4-xfapplet-plugin [0.1.0-4mint2]
    ~ $

The list does not seem to be complete, and 3 packages would be deleted that - I assume - should be kept.
  • Alternative approach:
    Launching Synaptic. Selecting by [Status]. Selected status [Installed]. Quick filter: mate
    First 32 packages were detected and removed. Then 4 more libmate* packages were found plus 1 dependency and removed, a total of 37.
    Remaining stuff was purged, 20 package leftovers.
  • Code: Select all
    Commit Log for Wed Dec 25 11:05:44 2013

Die folgenden Pakete wurden entfernt: (The following packages were removed:)
    gir1.2-mate-panel
    libmate
    libmate-common
    libmate-desktop-2-17
    libmate-panel-applet4-1
    libmatecomponent
    libmatecomponentui
    libmateconf
    libmatekeyring
    libmatemenu
    libmatepolkit
    libmateui
    libmatevfs
    libmatewnck-common
    libmatewnck0
    mate-conf
    mate-conf-common
    mate-corba
    mate-desktop
    mate-desktop-common
    mate-menus
    mate-mime-data
    mate-panel
    mate-panel-common
    mate-polkit
    mate-vfs
    mate-vfs-common
    mintmenu
    mozo
    python-mate
    python-mate-desktop
    python-mate-menu
    xfce4-xfapplet-plugin

Commit Log for Wed Dec 25 16:25:19 2013 (The following packages were removed:)

Die folgenden Pakete wurden entfernt:
    libmatecanvas
    libmatecorba
    libmateweather-common
    libmateweather1
    python-corba

(37 packages)

Commit Log for Wed Dec 25 11:08:09 2013

Die folgenden Pakete wurden vollständig entfernt: (The following packages were purged:)
    libmate
    libmate-desktop-2-17
    libmate-panel-applet4-1
    libmatecomponent
    libmatecomponentui
    libmateconf
    libmatekeyring
    libmatemenu
    libmatepolkit
    libmateui
    libmatevfs
    libmatewnck0
    mate-conf
    mate-menus
    mate-mime-data
    mate-polkit
    mate-vfs

Commit Log for Wed Dec 25 16:26:23 2013

Die folgenden Pakete wurden vollständig entfernt: (The following packages were purged:)
    libmatecanvas
    libmatecorba
    libmateweather-common
    libmateweather1

(20 packages)
</Added>
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby wyrdoak on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 am

I like it :-)
-Dell Mini Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(Maya-Xfce) LInux 3.2.0.57-generic(i686)
SolydX (32bit)
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Postby karlchen on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi, wyrdoak.

Shiny, shiny, your desktop. And this on an a tiny netbook. Great! :)
By the way my screenshot was taken on an Acer Aspire One D260, Atom DualCore 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM.

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Xfce