[SOLVED]Linux Mint 15 XFCE fails to start

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dirac_delta_f

[SOLVED]Linux Mint 15 XFCE fails to start

Post by dirac_delta_f »

I am running linux mint 15 xfce and after a recent package update and system reboot, xfce desktop fails to start on startup. The cursor displays on a black screen. I can move the cursor but nothing else. When I switch to tty1 and try to start xfce from the command line with startx, the screen goes black. Does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
perham

Re: Linux Mint 15 XFCE fails to start

Post by perham »

post the output of

Code: Select all

dmesg
and

lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A4

if you want to capture that info from a tty, just run these commands

dmesg >output1.txt
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A4 >output2.txt

and upload output1.txt and output2.txt somewhere.

also upload /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists.
dirac_delta_f

Post by dirac_delta_f »

the outputs of dmseg and lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A4 are uploaded as attachments output1.pdf and output2.pdf. /etc/X11/xorg.conf did not exist on my filesystem. Thanks for your help.
perham

Post by perham »

dirac_delta_f wrote:the outputs of dmseg and lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A4 are uploaded as attachments output1.pdf and output2.pdf. /etc/X11/xorg.conf did not exist on my filesystem. Thanks for your help.
ok, no errors there. let's dig a little deeper. upload these files here:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
dirac_delta_f

Post by dirac_delta_f »

see the attachments, xinitrc.pdf is from /etc/X11/xinit/ and xinitrc_xdg.pdf is from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
perham

Post by perham »

dirac_delta_f wrote:see the attachments, xinitrc.pdf is from /etc/X11/xinit/ and xinitrc_xdg.pdf is from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
apparently there has been an issue with lightdm that can cause similar symptoms to your problem.
one guy had it already:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167183

run

sudo apt-cache policy lightdm mdm
if mdm is not installed, install mdm and make it default display manager. see if this works.
dirac_delta_f

Post by dirac_delta_f »

mdm is my dispay manager. I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it but I have the same problem. I will see if I can install a previous version than what is the installation candidate. Any ideas on how to do this?
perham

Post by perham »

dirac_delta_f wrote:mdm is my dispay manager. I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it but I have the same problem. I will see if I can install a previous version than what is the installation candidate. Any ideas on how to do this?
if you have mdm already the issue seems irrelevant. try switching display managers anyway, install kdm for example, and see if it changes anything.
dirac_delta_f

Post by dirac_delta_f »

I installed lxdm and it seems to be working. I guess I'll mark this as solved.
perham

Re: [SOLVED]Linux Mint 15 XFCE fails to start

Post by perham »

perfect! fill a bug report though. other users may experience the same problem. seems like a frustrating issue to face.

Return to “Xfce”