Caffeine with Linux Mint 16 Xfce edition

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Caffeine with Linux Mint 16 Xfce edition

Postby ratatosk on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 am

Currently running Linux Mint 16 Xfce edition on a couple of machines and am encountering the same difficulty on all of them. In my attempts to stop the screen saver from kicking in/monitor going to sleep while watching movies, etc., I've tried installing caffeine:

https://launchpad.net/caffeine

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with xscreensaver at all. After it's installed, selecting "disable screensaver" from the gui doesn't do anything. When I try to activate caffeine from the command line with "caffeine -a", I receive the following errors:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/caffeine", line 42, in <module>
    caffeine.main()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 284, in main
    main.setActive(options.activated)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 170, in setActive
    self.Core.setActivated(active)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 100, in setActivated
    self.toggleActivated()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 114, in toggleActivated
    self._performTogglingActions()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 128, in _performTogglingActions
    self._toggle()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 140, in _toggle
    self.susuProxy = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver', '/org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver')
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files

I'm at a loss on how to go about fixing this. Any suggestions?
ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Caffeine with Linux Mint 16 Xfce edition

Postby mrbungle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi

I also found the same problem after upgrading to Mint 16. I found this link which helped.

Hopefully this will help you as it did me as I can now disable the screensaver (xscreensaver) when watching YouTube videos

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-caffei ... pear-os-8/

If this link does not work run the following commands

wget -c https://launchpad.net/caffeine/2.4/2.4. ... c1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i caffeine_2.4.1*_all.deb
mrbungle
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE