Replace Thunar with Nemo/Caja

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Replace Thunar with Nemo/Caja

Post by dollyp »

Title says it all. Is it possible to replace Thunar with either Nemo or Caja, both of which have dual-pane view. If it is possible, how do I do it? And are there any downsides or gotchas?

David

(Mint16 Xfce)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Replace Thunar with Nemo/Caja

Post by karlchen »

Hello, dollyp.

The file managers Thunar (xfce), Nemo (Cinnamon) and Caja (Mate) are all closely tied together with their desktop environment.
They serve as the default file-manager. But they all handle (display) the desktop as well.
By trying to replace Thunar by Nemo or Caja you will in the best case pull in large parts of the Cinnamon software packages / the Mate software packages. In the worst case the new file-manager may interfere with the normal operation of the xfce desktop environment. - Not sure.
Basically it may be feasible to do so by installing Nemo or Caja and all software packages which the chosen file-manager depends on.

One question is:
Do you want to replace Thunar in its function as file-manager only? Or do you want the other file-manager, Nemo or Caja, to handle the desktop as well?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you only want another file manager because of the dual pane there are other options which may interest you:

*** This isn't quite the same thing but Thunar now comes with tabs: While thunar is in focus select Ctrl+t and a new tab opens up.

*** Then there's the XFE file manager which can peacefully coexist with any desktop - that one has a true dual panel .
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

Thanks for the replies. I take your points about the file manager being an integral part of the DE. I've had a look at XFE - brings back a feeling of nostalgia with it's Win98 sort of look - and I think it'll do what I want.

David

Return to “Xfce”