Speed optimizations?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Borsook

Speed optimizations?

Post by Borsook »

Hi, does XFCE edition have any speed and hardware requirements optimizations or application substitutes? Of course other than XFCE itself being faster than gnome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Speed optimizations?

Post by exploder »

merlwiz79 built the Xfce Edition with speed and functionality in mind. For the most part lighter faster applications are used with the exception of Firefox and OpenOffice. Firefox and OpenOffice were used because they are the most functional web browser and office suite. merlwiz79 has added a customized control center and many other customizations he has worked to develop. The Xfce Edition is very complete as far as features. The minimum hardware specs would be the same as XUbuntu.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

exploder wrote:merlwiz79 built the Xfce Edition with speed and functionality in mind. For the most part lighter faster applications are used with the exception of Firefox and OpenOffice. Firefox and OpenOffice were used because they are the most functional web browser and office suite. merlwiz79 has added a customized control center and many other customizations he has worked to develop. The Xfce Edition is very complete as far as features. The minimum hardware specs would be the same as XUbuntu.
Oh, too bad about open office, what about Abiword? It's pretty good and very fast. Anyway I was hoping that maybe it would be a bit faster than Xubuntu, I have a very old machine (PII 233 210 mb RAM 2gb hdd- uninstalling open office takes forever on that) running Xubuntu and it's pretty usuable but still a bit slow. Anyway I'll sure give XFCE Mint a try :)
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

Your system is just fine for running XFCE (Mint 5) except for that harddisk. BTW, did you say 2GB or 20GB?

My system is a PIII 533MHz & 192MB RAM m/c with a 4GB partition for Mint 5 XFCE. I've have a 40GB HDD which works perfect with my system. The default install of Mint 5 XFCE takes around 2.2GB space. And a swap partition of around 500MB would also be required (double the size of RAM is recommended). I've been able to save a good 300MB by uninstalling S/W from the Synaptic package manager, which I don't require like printing support, NVIDIA/ATI drivers and others. Mint 5 XFCE runs like a dream on my system.

So if you are able to get a 20GB HDD or at least a 10GB HDD, you would be able to run Mint 5 XFCE decently with your m/c. A 10GB HDD would enable you to keep a native partition, swap partition and data partition of 4.5GB, 0.5GB and 5GB respectively (add another data partition of 10GB, if you get a 20GB HDD), which would be just fine for running Mint 5 XFCE.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

zaheermk wrote:Your system is just fine for running XFCE (Mint 5) except for that harddisk. BTW, did you say 2GB or 20GB?

My system is a PIII 533MHz & 192MB RAM m/c with a 4GB partition for Mint 5 XFCE. I've have a 40GB HDD which works perfect with my system. The default install of Mint 5 XFCE takes around 2.2GB space. And a swap partition of around 500MB would also be required (double the size of RAM is recommended). I've been able to save a good 300MB by uninstalling S/W from the Synaptic package manager, which I don't require like printing support, NVIDIA/ATI drivers and others. Mint 5 XFCE runs like a dream on my system.

So if you are able to get a 20GB HDD or at least a 10GB HDD, you would be able to run Mint 5 XFCE decently with your m/c. A 10GB HDD would enable you to keep a native partition, swap partition and data partition of 4.5GB, 0.5GB and 5GB respectively (add another data partition of 10GB, if you get a 20GB HDD), which would be just fine for running Mint 5 XFCE.
No, it's 2 GB not 20 :( I have another more modern PC too, and if I had any money to spend on computers I'd rather expand the newer one ;) Anyway if it requires 2.2 gb then I seems I have to stay with Xubuntu...

Return to “Xfce”