[SOLVED] Power Mgr doesn't work, doesnt save settings either

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Power Mgr doesn't work, doesnt save settings either

Postby benali72 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm on Mint 13 32-bit Xfce Edition, which includes Xfce version 4.8. My computer hardware is a Gateway G5228 desktop (with AMD 64x2 CPU @4200+, 2 Gig ram).

The Xfce Power Manager doesn't work for me. As I found with my other AMD 64x2 3800+ machine, after putting the computer "to sleep," it never comes back.

I've tried all combinations of settings I can (Standby vs Suspend, setting power management via the Screensaver Advanced panel vs setting it by the Xfce Power Manager panel, even BIOS setting changes), all to no avail.

So I decided on a workaround. I just won't put the computer to sleep.

But this doesn't work either! The Xfce Power Manager will not save my settings across sessions. So after I set the "On AC Power" settings to NEVER, the next time I reboot Xfce Power Manager has re-set it back to its default of "15 Minutes"!

Any suggestions? I'm going to have to go to MATE unless I can get this fixed, because my style of work with this computer involves long periods of inactivity. I can't keep coming back to a down computer.

Thank you.
Last edited by benali72 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Power Manager doesn't work, doesn't save my settings eit

Postby benali72 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 pm

UPDATE -- ok, I tested all combinations I could find for relevant Settings in the Xfce Screensaver (the Advanced panel), the Xfce Power Manager, and my BIOS.

Neither Xfce panel will properly restart the computer from Sleep. The Xfce Power Manager will not properly save my Settings across sessions to NEVER put the computer to Sleep

AFAIK, the Xfce power management facility just doesn't work on early AMD 64x2 boxes. I've tested on 3 such boxes (two are HP 3800+ and the third is Gateway 5228 4200+).

So, I've switched to MATE as my work-around. The MATE Screensaver does not start the computer properly from Sleep either, but it will save my Setting never to put the computer to sleep at all. So I can save my display while not having the computer go down when I step away.

I suppose an alternative would be to stick with Xfce and not start the Xfce Power Manager daemon at all, then manage the display strictly through the Xfce Screensaver.

Just an update in case anybodyreads this thread. Thanks.
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Power Mgr doesn't work, doesnt save settings ei

Postby benali72 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 am

Ok, just for completeness I'm updating this with my final findings --

1. I found you can use SETTINGS -> SESSION AND STARTUP to ensure the Xfce Power Manager does not start. Then you can just use the Xfce Screensaver to save your screen and leave the computer always running.

2. Alternatively, use MATE. It's Power Manager will save your settings to NEVER put the computer to sleep. Thus you just set that to NEVER then use MATE's Screensaver to save your screen.

QED
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Return to XFCE