Ideas for Felicia XFCE CE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Ideas for Felicia XFCE CE

Postby gnomeorkde on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:29 pm

As a slight aside, it would be great to have the Mint XFCE edition mentioned here http://www.xfce.org/download/distros on the XFCE website.
gnomeorkde
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby steeladept on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:04 am

I know I am a bit late to the conversation, but I want to add my agreement on the stripped version. I want an OS, Core Apps (MintInstall, MintUpdate, Driver Packages, etc.) and a browser (plain vanilla and preferably removable - maybe Opera? None of these Firefox installs with default plugins that I can't easily remove, or anything like that). The rest I can download. I can imagine that can be an issue for people with a slow internet connection, but my 512kb/s is no speed demon either, and I am still asking for this. If these apps are that critical, and they should be in the iso (for whatever reason), perhaps they can be just put in as part of the package but not installed - maybe make it so Synaptic recognizes the ISO/CD/DVD drive as a distro point that can upload the most common applications. That makes it simple to distribute, VERY FAST (until the users bloat it down), and provides the flexibility to customize your own layout as you see fit. Isn't that a key part to Linux anyway? Enough of my thoughts though. This is a great distribution and I love what I am capable of accomplishing with it. Thank you for your time and efforts...
steeladept
Level 1
Level 1

Postby szamot83 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm

Hello,
What do you think about leaving ALSA instead Pulse Audio?

Best regards.
szamot83
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 pm

szamot83 wrote:Hello,
What do you think about leaving ALSA instead Pulse Audio?

Best regards.

The current version of XFCE doesn't use Pulse Audio.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby szamot83 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:36 pm

That's very good news.

I have one thing, which (in my opinion) should be fixed in next edition. I know that next XFCE edition will be based on newest Ubuntu repositories, which means new software version, sometimes more resource eating software (like new version of Azureus), sometimes not working at all software (like DeVeDe). Problem is, that when you're using mint update you can not hold any packages, it always want o upgrade all program to newest version. I think it is good idea, to give choose which packages you want to keep in their version and which packages you want to update.
Now I'm doing my updates by update-manager or "aptitude dist-upgrade".
szamot83
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Meteor on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Howdy.

I assume that this section is still open -- it must be, I'm writing a suggestion in it...

I've read through the months of messages and agree with a few, don't care about others and don't understand the rest. I do, however, have a suggestion for consideration... Get rid of the BLACK desktop screen. I know it's all the rage right now on Linux OS's, but here in the far north of Canada, it's dark for almost 18 hours every day. I don't want to see a dull, dark, depressing background to my XFCE CE screen! If you MUST put it in, then include a "Preferences" section in the menu with exciting choices for backgrounds, ones that are bright, cheerful, happy!

It was sunny and -40C today here. I'm glad it was sunny. Saturday will be warmer, -25 and sunny. posting.php?mode=reply&f=110&t=16564#

Meteor
Canada, eh!
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:52 am

Well I would say most of the wallpapers are dark.
So I would look in the artwork section for brighter wallpapers. viewforum.php?f=20
Also there is an artwork site. http://www.linuxmint-art.org/
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Zwopper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 am

I've made some wallpapers that are transparent, so you can make it any color you want.
And I've also made some white and lighter ones as well...
Check my deviantart gallery!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rivenought on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:41 am

+ 1 for Zwopper's transparent wallpapers. Those in conjunction with some brighter themes will make Mint look exactly to your tastes.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to XFCE