Sound in XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Sound in XFCE

Post by oliverjames »

I have recently explored modifying the sound-out path to allow the use of a usb "sound card" called Logitech music anywhere" (see post).

I appear to have succeeded in porting sound out to this device while keeping Skype's sound-out via the onboard soundcard.
However the xfce4-mixer controls required resetting to Device: default, Wannabe master Master,0. This returns mouse over control to the speaker icon on title bar.

I have however lost the multimedia keyboard control and cannot at present get this back. Any ideas?

However the real point of this is to ask if anyone can direct me to a thorough "Sound How To" or advise me how sound is being dealt with in Mint XFCE. The system is using Alsa but Skype sound seems to be handled differently.

Can pulse audio be used with XFCE? I'm really looking for a way to control all sound input and output paths.

Oliverjames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Sound in XFCE

Post by merlwiz79 »

The 1st beta I made was with pusle audio but I trashed it cause XFCE hasn't been made to use it.
Xubuntu didn't have pulse audio as well.
Not sure why the audio is giving you troubles.
Did you turn off any services?
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Thanks for your reply Merlwiz. No I didn't touch the services. See this post for screenshots

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16689

I'm pretty sure that the audio services control was turned of at install. I have tried turning it on but ir does not fix the problem.

Thanks above all for a very nice XFCE version.

Oliverjames
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This is what mine looks like:
Their is a way to get pulse audio working though.(I haven't tried it)
Follow the instructions found here. After that you'll have the pulse server configured and every app should use it without any problem, unless it needs to be specifically configured to use it (like Exaile).

It still won't run as a daemon so you have to edit the config.

Code: Select all

gksu mousepad /etc/default/pulseaudio
Change:

PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=0
To

PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1
Change:

DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=1
to

DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=0
Save the file and restart.

Here are ways to get apps that have problems with pulse to work:(most of these are not needed anymore)
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectS ... plications
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Thanks for the info Merlwiz. I'll try to set up Pulse when I've a bit more time available.

Ideally tho I'd like to keep the installation simple. With the stock XFCE system I can hook up my Logitech usb "sound card" and edit asoundrc.asoundconf in my home folder, changing the default sound card. This does the job nicely and with Skype configured to use the onborad soundcard all works nicely. Restoring the conf file to default to the onboard soundcard seems to put everything back.

I'm just curious as to why the m-media keys are no longer tied to the volume slider on the title bar. Its not obvious how the configuration of this element affect the mixer panel. Indeed it does not appear to.

Return to “Xfce”