Customize Your XFCE Root Menu

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Customize Your XFCE Root Menu

Postby toomanyquestions on Sat May 10, 2014 6:19 pm

I love the openbox main menu; therefore I decided to customize my xfce menu. Here are the steps I recommend. Note: it's always wise to backup the files you are working with. Disclaimer: these steps were used on Solydx, not Linux Mint, but I believe they will be almost the same on LM. Please offer corrections as necessary.

1. Identify the handful of programs you want to add to your xfce root menu (the right-click menu).

2. Then copy the desired .desktop files from /usr/share/applications & place them in /(yourhome directory)/.local/share/applications

3. While in /yourhome/.local/share/applications directory, use your text editor open a .desktop file (right click > open with > name-of-text-editor). In a moment you'll make a small edit.

4. Look for the label "Categories" along the left hand side of your document (sometimes it's near the top, but many times it is near the bottom). Add this "X-Xfce-Toplevel;" -but without the "-" marks! If the program was Geany (my favorite text editor) the line would look like this: Categories=GTK;Development;IDE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;

5. Next, it is time to find your menu file. Ideally you'll find your "xfce-applications.menu" file in /(your-home-directory)/.config/menus. IF this location doesn't exist, create it. Then, if you had to create it, you can find a copy of your menu file here - /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-application.menu, copy the file (right-click, copy), and place it in /your-home-directory/.config/menus

6.Now its time to actually change your menu file (/bugsbunny (your-home-directory)/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu). Before I explain, I'll show you two examples.

7. About 15 lines down, my original menu looked like this...
Code: Select all
 <Layout>
        <Filename>xfce4-run.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-mail-reader.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>

I, however, wanted my favorite programs to show up at the top of the menu - so I added references to the .desktop files we copied in step 3, and edited in step 4. Now my menu looks like this --

Code: Select all
<Layout>
      <Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
      <Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
      <Filename>geany.desktop</Filename>
      <Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
      <Filename>vlc.desktop</Filename>
      <Filename>libreoffice-writer.desktop</Filename>
      <Separator/>

Notice how the new entries simply use the name of the .desktop files. Now log out & back in again. As a side note, if you don't like the program's name that shows up in your menu, you can change that too. Go back to step 4 & look for "Name" on the left side.

**These directions were taken from (among others) - http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
toomanyquestions
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Customize Your XFCE Root Menu

Postby MtnDewManiac on Thu May 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Is this for the Whisper menu, the older-style XFCE one, or does it work on both?

Regards,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Return to XFCE