hooly wrote:ok, n00b alert: i've been using Mint for a couple years, done some basic command line stuff. basically i can follow detailed instructions. on my own i only know enough to get myself into trouble.
so here's my story:
- a totally non-literate computer friend wanted something cheap, so i bought a little mini-pc box from Shuttle (VGA only) for him, and installed Mint Xfce 16. i tested it for days and everything was peachy.
- i bundled up the Shuttle -- blanketed in bubble wrap! -- and mailed it to him.
- he got everything in good order, bought a monitor (HP Pavilion 20BW, tested and working before it left the shop), and he wired everything up.
- when he starts up the Shuttle he gets the Mint leaf on the screen, it get's brighter and brighter like it should, fades as if it's ready to go to the desktop, then everything goes black.
- i believe he gets a text login prompt but that disappears after a few seconds. it's as if he's lost the VGA signal.
- disk drive light flickers from time to time but he's dead in the water as far as the screen goes.
i've gone through all the set-up and resetting stuff with the monitor, verified that he has the right cabling and all, made sure it was set to VGA, same screen resolution as i had been using, blaa blaa blaa.
so now i'm stuck. if i knew what to do he could enter text commands (if i told him exactly what to type) but i just don't have that knowledge. i don't know where to begin.
needless to say i'd appreciate any guidance the community could offer. thx.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests