XFCE and Wi-fi

Forums for the Xfce Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

XFCE and Wi-fi

Postby nikos on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:19 am

Hi All,
I gave a try to XFCE with the live CD before to install, but I was unable to make work the Belkin zd1211 usb wireless stick with wicd. I connect to the router but no internet connection. I tried all possible combination with no success. I have a fixed ip assigned by the router to the Belkin stick and also DNS are assigned by the router. I also tried to insert the ip and DNS into the wicd but nothing happens. I don't have any problem with Ubuntu 8.04 or Mint 5 with the 2.6.24 kernel. It should be a DNS problem. I suspect that the problem arises with the newer kernel used by XFCE. Any suggestions to try. I will greatly appreciate any help.
Nikos
nikos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XFCE and Wi-fi

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 am

For me it has varied - sometimes I've managed to just get out on the internet, sometimes I've only managed to get to the router (wired)
So I wrote a short guide in the troublehsooter
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
This may help you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nikos on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:09 am

Thank you Husse, your guide didn't help me to solve the problem. I have a reserved ip address assigned by the router to the Belkin stick, but even if a put another ip into wicd it always connects to the router!, but no internet. Ubuntu and Mink KDE CE work fine with live CD and installed too. I only insert my wep passphrase, ip and DNS are assigned by the router automatically, I checked the resolv.conf file, so network manager works fine in roaming mode. I will continue trying and let you know.
nikos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I connect to the router but no internet connection.

Can you ping an IP?
Try
Code: Select all
ping -c 4 72.14.207.99

This is a google IP (google.com)
If you get a response we know that you have a name resolution problem and the solution in the troubleshooter is a likely solution
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Xfce