Felicia XFCE CE UPDATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Felicia XFCE CE UPDATE

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have an iso uploaded for exploder to test. ( 3 minor bugs from me so far )
This version was rebased on Xubuntu 8.10.
filesize:
685.4MB

custom CDrom repo.( has gnome-network-admin and network-manager-gnome 0.7svn if you need it)
Permanently Remove in thunar (skips the trash)
Remote Desktop (works just like in Gnome)
Gufw
Flegita
Giver
Mint tools and updates
Changed to black usplash
EnvyNG in menu for terminal version.
mintDisk for fat and ntfs partitions(wish I could add ext3 etc)
GPRS Easy Connect 3.0.1
Yes I still have VLC.
fusesmbtool needs to have the User Privileges Allow use of fuse filesystems like LTSP Thin Client block devices.
Chestnut-Dialer needs both User Privileges that deal with modems.
Thunar Shares for sharing folders with Samba.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hopetoregistersoon

Re: Felicia XFCE CE UPDATE

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

YAH!!! Merlwiz79 you are my hero. Thanks for your hard work (thanks to Clem and all developers too). Hope to get the iso soon
hopetoregistersoon

attila1964 wrote::) And about when comes Mint 6 Xfce CE? :)
Can we test it?
was thinking the exact same thing
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Once the internal test is done Clem has to decide if he wants the Community to test it.
Then he will push it to the servers for download.
Once the servers have it then he will announce it.
He hasn't said anything yet.
Arron

Post by Arron »

WOW a new release! I cant wait!

Its just like Christmas all over again.... err wait a second...

Good work guys!
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

I wonder when will we get the release. I'm dying to see it, literally (as I'm waiting to make a fresh install, because my system is totally damaged, and I can't do lots of things, I'm limited to websites basically).
I'm just wondering. Maybe you should keep us at least updated on the work?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tested the release and asked Clem to check it out. I found a few very minor issues and recommended it for public testing. Clem has the final word on any release and we are awaiting his decision. Your patience will pay off, this release looks extremely good. Just hang in there, Clem has been very busy lately.
hopetoregistersoon

exploder wrote:I tested the release and asked Clem to check it out. I found a few very minor issues and recommended it for public testing. Clem has the final word on any release and we are awaiting his decision. Your patience will pay off, this release looks extremely good. Just hang in there, Clem has been very busy lately.
been secretly hating exploder for taking long LOL :D :D :D just dying to get the iso. been stalking the mirrors to see if it shows up. Thanks for giving Clem an ok for public testing
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

been secretly hating exploder for taking long LOL
Funny! Trust me, I want you to have this shiny new release. :mrgreen: I usually have a release tested in a matter of hours.
Fred

Post by Fred »

hopetoregistersoon wrote:
been secretly hating exploder for taking long LOL...
I am sure there must be less productive ways of spending your time... I just can't think of what they might be. :-)

Fred
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Let's just hope that it as usual is better then the Gnome release, because that gave me loads of trouble, so I went back to XFCE 5, where everything just works! :D
I'm not totally convinced about this move to ubuntu 8.10 as base... :?
I'll wait patiently and see what wonders Merlwiz79 has accomplished!!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
hopetoregistersoon

Fred wrote:hopetoregistersoon wrote:
been secretly hating exploder for taking long LOL...
I am sure there must be less productive ways of spending your time... I just can't think of what they might be. :-)

Fred
that was just humor buddy
Fred

Post by Fred »

hopetoregistersoon,

I know, so was mine. No problem :-)

Fred
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Felicia XFCE CE Screenshots

Post by merlwiz79 »

GrayWizardLinux asked for screenshots:(Click Image for Large Image)
1st Image is the Default themes and icons.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Looking great!
I'm looking forward to it!
CREA DIEM!

hopetoregistersoon

looking good looking good. Said it before Merlwiz is a genius
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

I see this release is going to kick ass. Good work!
I'm wondering about the performance of this release. XUbuntu 8.10 was really slow. As a matter of fact, it was so killing my PC I switched back to Mint 5 XFCE. I couldn't work at all on it. What about Mint 6 XFCE? Is it faster / slower than Mint 5 XFCE?
I've heard performance is going to be the key "feature" of Ubuntu 9.04. I'm wondering what are you going to do with Mint 7, but I'm looking very forward to it.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok Clem has taken a look at it and this was what he said.
clem wrote:Hi guys,

I gave it a quick test and my first overall impression is that it's 99% ready for a release. Here's what I found (all minor things really):

- The menu should say "Menu", not "Felicia". I moved to "Menu" as it removed un-necessary work in updating screenshots in the user guide for every release and also it was a problem for people after performing an upgrade (not understanding that the value there was in their home data rather than something reflecting the actual state of the system). That one is really up to you. If you feel nostalgic about loosing the codename in the menu name, then leave "Felicia" in there.

- The icon theme "MintyFresh" is nice and almost as nice as the LinuxMint one but for the sake of having the same as before and as the other editions I would recommend to revert to "LinuxMint" as the default.

+ The black usplash theme is nice. In fact it's nicer than the usplash-theme-mint-black package that we have in the repos. Can you package it so we can update the repos with your version as it looks better?

- The clock applet isn't transparent (I remember talking about this before, so I'm not sure we can do anything about it...).

- mintUpdate doesn't run in liveCD mode, that's fine... but since it's a deviation, make sure to write about that in the release notes.

- XFCE4MintConfig's GUI is too big. The new mintInstall frontend is exactly the maximum size for an application for 800x600 screen. Because of the new ultraportable laptops and their small resolutions we need to make sure we fit in 800x600... and without overlapping with the menu bar :) I don't see that as a showstopper and this can be addressed after the Mint 6 release, but it would be nice to give a facelift to mintconfig4xfce. Also, if it contained everything and was more attractive to work with, it could completely replace the settings sub-menu...

- In /etc/apt/sources.list, for some reason there's an extra space in front of the source repo for intrepid-proposed.

- In /etc/linuxmint/info, there's two typo.. "felcia" instead of "felicia"

- The logo in the menu isn't the official one. The green isn't the right shade and it's got a 3D reflection which shouldn't be there. It looks nice all the same but it's not our official logo. The official logo can be found in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/icon.png

- I assume all required artwork and dependencies are packaged in mint-artwork-xfce and mint-artwork-xfce-extras?

- A meta-package called mint-meta-xfce and similar to mint-meta-main should be present and gather all the installed software required by this edition.

- All packages installed in this edition should be in the repositories.

Let's fix all these little things and we'll be ready for a release. As usual this edition looks fantastic, congratulations Merlwiz.

Clem.
I'll try to have a new one for Dev testing by Thursday.
Still settling in from my holiday and got so other work to do.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

This is great news!
Oh happy day!
CREA DIEM!

Arron

Post by Arron »

Those screen shots look GREAT!! I'm glad to see desktop sharing is enabled and working by default, that was a pain for Elyssa. Did you use the gnome desktop utility or something like x11vnc or just a vnc server to share the desktop? As well what is the default pdf viewer? So many questions... I guess I just have to wait with the hordes for the release!

It really does look great, I am on pins and needles waiting for the release.

AMAZING WORK!!

Return to “Xfce”