gui goes standby during boot

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

gui goes standby during boot

Postby tinny on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:27 am

One of the reasons I havent been active lately is that Linux Mint has a gui issue with my main working computer, a Northgate STAX2517C2 with onboard nVidia graphics. This is a general issue, not specific to XFCE. I recently downloaded Mint 6 main (gnome) and not only did the gui go dead (out of range) during boot, I am fairly certain that the computer did not get to desktop at all. I admit that I lose patience with a distro that cant keep the gui going. The preceding version of Mint at least got to desktop. Maybe I am spoiled by Puppy, current preferred distro, which will boot almost any computer.

IIRC previous versions of Mint provided a safe graphics mode as a boot option for the live CD. Even so, the gui would go "out of range" and standby during boot, and only after a considerable delay, the gui would return just before booting to desktop. While this might be temporarily acceptable for me, I couldnt pass this live CD on to another party and expect them to understand what is happening when the gui goes standby for most of the boot. I did try a few boot options, but quickly lost interest. If there is a workaround, it isnt obvious.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gui goes standby during boot

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 am

Some combination of hardware just does not work out well...
Have you tried Compatibility mode?
Press any key while the live CD counts down
Your problem seems a bit like one I had - some nvidia cards can't use the open "nv" driver - only vesa or the closed "nvidia" driver
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: gui goes standby during boot

Postby tinny on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:42 am

Happy to report that I burned Mint XFCE-CE Felicia to CD-R and everything went well. Now typing this post via live CD!

At the risk of seeming old fashioned, I would like to use Cassandra Green as background. How would I obtain this for an installation of Mint XFCE-CE Felicia?
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Return to XFCE