OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Postby Meteor on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Good afternoon.

I have just installed Felicia XFCE CE but am unable to get OOo Writer, Calc, Firefox and Thunderbird as icons on the desktop so I may just click to start the programs. I am not a fan of the pop-up menu at the bottom left of the screen, then highlighting the appropriate category and selecting the program. I've tried using the mouse to get the programs onto the desktop but neither the left or right button will do this.

My question is obvious: how do I do it? I assume that I am just not seeing the obvious...

Thank you,
Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:36 am

I may possibly be wrong but I don't think there is a way to do this in Xfce. You put them on your taskbar instead - right click/add item/launcher then configure for whatever launchers you want.

They are much more useful there anyway, they can't get covered with open windows. If you think that takes up too much space then add a second panel (Settings/Panel Manager) and put them there - autohide is a good idea with this.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Zwopper on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:45 am

I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

* Open 2 instances of Thunar
* In the first one open: /usr/share/applications
* In the other one open: /home/YOUR_USERNAME/Desktop
* Drag the files you want to appear on your desktop, from the "application" folder to your "Desktop" folder

* * * Done! * * *
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby FedoraRefugee on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 am

Zwopper wrote:I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

* Drag the files you want to appear on your desktop, from the "application" folder to your "Desktop" folder

* * * Done! * * *

Never thought of that!!!

In the way Mint has Xfce set up you can also right click on the desktop and just select create launcher. You will have to know the terminal command to open your app though.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 am

I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

Good one Zwopper!

In the way Mint has Xfce set up you can also right click on the desktop and just select create launcher

That is interesting FedoraRefugee, I don't get any such option to do that on right click - still never mind, like Zwopper I don't want icons there anyway.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Meteor on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Thank you for your responses. Viking777, it appears to me that only selected items can be installed this way. It doesn't list OOo, Firefox or Thunderbird as an item to select. I got nowhere with my attempt.

Zwopper, good suggestion. I don't mind using the "Task Bar" (isn't that an M$ term???), but will try Thunar and see what I get. I've never used or seen Thunar. If I can get it to work, things will be great for me and my "Task Bar" still has plenty of room. I shall report back...

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Meteor wrote:Thank you for your responses. Viking777, it appears to me that only selected items can be installed this way. It doesn't list OOo, Firefox or Thunderbird as an item to select. I got nowhere with my attempt.

Zwopper, good suggestion. I don't mind using the "Task Bar" (isn't that an M$ term???), but will try Thunar and see what I get. I've never used or seen Thunar. If I can get it to work, things will be great for me and my "Task Bar" still has plenty of room. I shall report back...

Meteor

No, you have missed the point my friend, I didn't say that you right click the panel and add Firefox I said that you right click the panel and add 'launcher' you then configure 'launcher' to launch firefox. It is a two stage process.

Anyway, you will probably be happier with Zwopper's solution.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby FedoraRefugee on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:34 pm

viking777 wrote:That is interesting FedoraRefugee, I don't get any such option to do that on right click - still never mind, like Zwopper I don't want icons there anyway.

I think I may know why. On older versions of Xfce you have to right click the trash icon. Also, be sure that your desktop icons are even enabled in your settings manager/desktop. I assure you that the option is there in newer versions, I am running 4.6 now bit it worked with the default Mint 6 Xfce CE also.

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Ok here is the way the XFCE DEVs made it.
Open Appfinder from the menu.
Locate the applications in Appfinder
Then drag and drop it to the desktop.
You can also drag into the new launcher for the panel.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby viking777 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Merlwiz, FedoraRefugee,

You are both right. I used Merlwiz's excellent method to put an icon on the desktop then found that if I right click the icon and select 'Desktop' I get the option to 'Add launcher' otherwise I don't. Of course, if you know Merlwiz's method I guess you don't really need the option to 'add launcher' - unless you want to launch something that Appfinder doesn't know about.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Zwopper on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:52 pm

It's all about choices! ;)
...and the freedom to choose!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to XFCE