USB flash drive won't mount/eject

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

USB flash drive won't mount/eject

Postby Taboink! on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 am

Hello! I made a fresh install of Elyssa XFCE (through LiveUSB) on my Compaq CQ40-313TU today. After the installation, everything was OK (though I haven't tried wifi and ethernet), except for these:

1. every time I insert a USB flash drive, it won't mount (although the system recognizes the disk) and a message appears:

Failed to mount 2G Removable Volume
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog-try dmesg | tail or so.

and when I try to eject, this message appears:

Unable to eject 2G Removable Volume
eject: unable to open 'dev/sdb1'

Was the use of the USB as a method of installation the cause of this? I am new with Linux and LM and help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Taboink! on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taboink!
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB flash drive won't mount/eject

Postby viking777 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am

Try error checking it with gparted. I am pretty sure 'gparted' is installed by default but if it isn't you can install it from 'synaptic'.

Plug in the USB key and then start 'gparted'. In the drop down list, top right, select sdb as the drive and it should show you what partitions are on it. Right click on whatever partition/s are there and select 'check'. It will tell you if there are any errors and fix them for you.

Then try again.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Taboink! on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Tried gparted and followed your instructions, but still I get the 'Failed to mount 2g Removable Drive' message.
Taboink!
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Taboink! on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:52 am

Update: I've just reinstalled my system, and the usb problem is gone....
Taboink!
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE