Update?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Update?

Post by keithp »

Greetings all.

A bit of history.

For some time, I have been distro-hopping, but have kept coming back to Mint and thinking what an excellent distro it is. In fact, it's 'the best'. So I decided to settle on Mint-Gnome, and have been running version5 owing to its long term support.

I have now tried Mint-XFCE CE, both versions 5 and 6, just from their live CDs, to get an impression of them. Very, very, impressed! The Mint implementation of the XFCE desktop is excellent.

I would like to install XFCE6, dual booting with Mint-Gnome5.

Having got rid of all that waffle, I have a few questions, please.

Will the XFCE6 version cease to be supported in 12 months time as the Gnome6 version will be?

Is it planned that it will be possible to upgrade from XFCE6 to 7, or will it need a fresh installation?

Sorry if these very basic questions have been answered before, but I can't find them.

Many thanks and congratulations to the developers.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Update?

Post by Husse »

All versions rely on the Ubuntu support cycle
We have to adapt to that
There will (probably) be an upgrade tool, however with the right planning a fresh install is really fast and trouble free
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Update?

Post by keithp »

Hello Husse.

Thank you for your reply.

I knew that the main LinuxMint was tied to the Ubuntu cycle for length of support, but I wondered if the Community Editions were different.

Thanks for the clarification and the information regarding upgrading.

Keith

Return to “Xfce”