No XFCE desktop

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No XFCE desktop

Postby jmurphy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:24 pm

This is a great distribution, thanks for keeping it up. I've been using Mint XFCE for a couple of years and I love it. I was using Elyssa. I was on the computer one morning, left, came back to the screensaver, moved the mouse and got a black screen with an active mouse cursor. I waited but the desktop didn't appear. I hit the power button on the computer (Dell Precision 530) and the shutdown window appeared. I logged out. It went to the normal login screen. When I logged in I saw the XFCE splash screen and messages then the black screen and mouse cursor. Repeated but shutdown and rebooted with same result. I had also installed LXDE so I logged in to a LXDE session and it was fine. When I launched Firefox, it brought up my old session. Tried XFCE again and still no desktop. I have reinstalled with different versions, without formatting my Home partition, and everything works but XFCE. It must be a config file on my home partition, but what. I am running the main mint distro, Felicia and Gnome, but I really prefer XFCE. Any ideas short of formatting the Home partition. I've got quite a bit of "history" there I'd rather not lose; one of the really great things about Linux. I love Mint and XFCE anyway, but I'd sure like to get them working together again.
I'm old, I cut me teeth with DOS and can use the command line somewhat in Linux. I'm no expert and I don't know much about the config files... Obviously.
I don't believe I had run the update or installed anything new recently.
Thanks for any guidance!
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No XFCE desktop

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:29 am

Does the panel even show up?
Do you even had xfcemint-default-settings installed?
You can find the config files in ~/.config
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jmurphy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 am

No, the panel does not show up. I get the XFCE splash, the last message says “performing autostart”, then a black screen with the mouse cursor. It does still go in to screen save, and back to the black screen when I move the mouse. I don't see anything “xfcemint” in my home directory. As it stands now, I have root, home, and usr/local partitions (and swap of course). All but Home were formatted when I loaded mint with gnome (I had also done that already trying to reinstall the XFCE version). I then installed XFCE using Synaptic. It acts exactly like it did when I only had XFCE. You would think it would have written a new file if any were missing, even in the home directory. I have a working XFCE install on a computer at work. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and maybe I can copy a missing file. Am I looking for files in my home directory that are named “xfcemint” something? I can copy the whole .config directory I guess and compare them.
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 am

xfcemint-default-settings is the name of the package that has Linux Mint XFC CE's settings in it.
xubuntu-default-settings is for Xubuntu.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jmurphy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Ok, sorry. It was not installed. I tried installing it and all the other mint xfce stuff listed in synaptic but it didn't fix it. I suppose I should just go back and reinstall from CD. I have done that I am almost positive, but I'll do it again to be sure. I am not going to format anything this time.
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jmurphy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:18 pm

I just realized, my login screen still says XFCE. Obviously I am in over my head.
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jmurphy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Ok, I installed the XFCE Mint edition from CD. I didn't format anything. It did exactly the same thing. I reinstalled the main, gnome edition and it works fine. I renamed a couple of directories under .config. Their names were xfce4 something so I thought that might be where the bad info was. It has to be on my home partition. Reinstalled the XFCE edition, didn't work.There must be something corrupt that is not being overwritten during install. It did reinstall a file called xfce4-session in the ~/.config directory. Back to gnome edition. I can almost do these installs with my eyes closed even with multiple partitions on multiple disks. Like I said, I'll look at another computer tomorrow.
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EaglePrince on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

Hi there,

I am a Zenwalk 5.2 user, which some may recognize as an XFCE-based distro. Zen is now at 6.0 but my children didn't like it so I tried Mint Gloria and they love it!

In my case, however, I wanted to keep XFCE, so I downloaded and installed Felicia since Gloria isn't ready for XFCE yet. I found that the desktop did not start until I removed the .config folder which seemed to have retained settings from my old distro - which I think was running XFCE 4.2.

So you may find that you need to do that too....or just rename the folder and restart your desktop.

Hope this helps.

EP.
EaglePrince
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jmurphy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks, I too used Zenwalk for a time and I found some old Zenwalk settings in various directories. If that helped you it may be what I need, but, I had a working Mint install which suddenly quit working. Perhaps renaming the .config will force a new one to be written when I re-install though. I will give that a try and report back. Again, thanks.
jmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to XFCE