linuxmint 7 xfce installed eepc 7014g [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

linuxmint 7 xfce installed eepc 7014g [SOLVED]

Postby emmanuel on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am

Dear gurus,

Its the first time i installed linuxmint and wondered why I haven't thought of it before. Its the cleanest install I have experienced compared to the previous distro. Its currently running happily on my eeepc 701 4G. Just one question. How can I choose the type of file system? I have read that to install on the eeepc 701 a none journalizing FS is recommended since the limited number of writes to the built-in SSD (4Gb). So, I would like to use reiser fs or ext2.

Thank you lots.

Emmanuel
with an Asus eepc 701 4G installed with linuxmint 7 Gloria with XFCE
Last edited by emmanuel on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmanuel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: linuxmint 7 xfce installed eepc 7014g

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint. Glad the install went well, because to do what you want, you'll need to re-install. When you get to the partitioning stage, select manual. If you selected one of the default install options last time, you will see only a single partition formatted with ext3. Select this partition > Edit > File-system ext2, Format YES, use as / and you're all ready to go, it will delete any data you have stored in your mint home directory. If you have a more complicated partitioning setup, read the how-tos on partitioning here in the forums (usually written by "Fred") for more info. I should also point out that ext4 has some SSD optimisations, including reduced number of writes, but as it's a relatively new file-system, there may be some quirks.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to XFCE