Can I set a different default resolution?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can I set a different default resolution?

Postby skicrazer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm

I have my xfce (Felicia) connected to a KVM box and the system is defaulting to a low resolution (800x600 I think). I would like to force a different boot screen resolution but don't know how. From reading the threads, it appears it could be in the xorg.conf (?), but I am unsure how to find it, and would I use Mousepad to edit it?

Thanks for your help!
skicrazer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I set a different default resolution?

Postby richyrich on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:26 pm

It's your KVM Switch.
You can try booting with the monitor directly connected, replace all of the "Auto" settings in the display properties to your correct resolution, save to X, and try the KVM again . . .
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Can I set a different default resolution?

Postby skicrazer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply richyrich. I know how to view the display settings (Settings=>Display Settings) and can choose the desired resolution, but am unsure how to specifically 'replace all of the "Auto" settings in the display properties to your correct resolution, save to X.' I clicked Close - does that save to X?

I have been booting with the monitor directly attached, then trading the cables out once the system is up. I can use the KVM in this way, but have to do the hardware cabling shuffle each time I boot. I'm running 1024x768 now and would love to just force this resolution and be done with it. (actually am concerned about the monitor cable getting weak, as the KVM connector is upside down from the PC video card connector...guess I could change that, but a perm solution would be preferred.).
skicrazer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE