Mint 7 XFCE RC1 help needed

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 7 XFCE RC1 help needed

Postby CoinTos on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi all,

I am new to mint/ubuntu and well debian in general, I use to swear by mandrake/mandriva years ago so I do have some knowledge about linux. I am playing around with your RC1 and comparing it to xubuntu. I really like most of the mint addons but they have raised a few interface questions.

First, I am finding Mint a lot slower than xubuntu, I have read a post about memory leaks and am wondering if it has been addressed in any of the patches I installed in the updater or is it still final release type deal.

Next, is there an easy way to modify the Mint menu, I would like to remove about xfce and move Run down to above help below settings. Also on the desktop is there a way to center the text of icons and disable right click launch in the mint menu?

Next, this one isn't that important as it is probably cpu speed related but a general youtube video in firefox doesn't play smoothly at all.

Finally, I can't get the sound to work at all, I have tired everything I can think of setting wise and hardware manager does list it correctly.

I would like to thank you for making a lot easier to use linux and look forward to installing the final stable on my buddies system to stop all the virus and spyware calls for help I get. :-)

Test system:
P3 550, 294mb of ram, 40gig hdd, 32mb nvidia Geforce 2, SbLive! Plantinum
Note: I know this system is really old but my buddies is only a bit better so that is why I revived it. All he uses his for is web browsing, email, msn messanger , and Open Office, possible windows file/print sharing so I am trying to create a environment like that and as similar to windows 2000 interface as possible but I don't expect performance miracles. Thanks in advance and any suggestions are welcome.
CoinTos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 7 XFCE RC1 help needed

Postby Kaye on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:53 pm

1. Mint slower than xbuntu - I haven't experienced this at all. Have you made sure that frequency scaling is off? That's really the only thing I can think of. There's no reason Mint would have a memory leak that xbuntu doesn't

2. You should be able to right click the menu and click edit.

3. The general solution for flash related problems is
Code: Select all
apt remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree & apt install adobe-flashplugin

But it's generally known that the flash packaging for Linux is not very good. Once again, this should be no different on Mint than it is in xbuntu.

4. In order to do anything about the sound, we need more information. Post the output of
inxi -A
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby thx1138 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 pm

I had the same problem with flash. I installed Flashblocker (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/433), and the problem was gone (flash does many funny things with cpu and ram, especially on older machines). With flashblock you decide, what flash stuff you want to see on webpages and a lot of ad crap doesn't bother your ressources.
thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CoinTos on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Kaye wrote:1. Mint slower than xbuntu - I haven't experienced this at all. Have you made sure that frequency scaling is off? That's really the only thing I can think of. There's no reason Mint would have a memory leak that xbuntu doesn't

Well, when I compare the two of them, I had only used xbuntu for a couple of hours worth of toying around, it just seems like Mint is working harder than xbuntu did when I load/run programs like firefox. I compared ram between the two, mint used a couple megabytes more on default install with full updates but loading firefox spiked higher in ram loading than in xbuntu. I am not saying Mint is broken or anything like that. Just figured because my system was so old and mint offers what appears to be much more than xbuntu, that it had to be a setting I didn't know about and turned off or a known bug that I haven't found on the forum. I did read the forum somewhere about memory leaks, which I now can't find so maybe I am losing my mind. Anyways, I can't get the cpu governor to appear on the panel and I can't seem to find any option to see if frequency scaling is off.

Kaye wrote:2. You should be able to right click the menu and click edit.

All I get is properties option from the menu button and running of programs or opening/closing group list when I try from the menu itself.

Kaye wrote:3. The general solution for flash related problems is
apt remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree & apt install adobe-flashplugin

But it's generally known that the flash packaging for Linux is not very good. Once again, this should be no different on Mint than it is in xbuntu.

Still no change, I never did like flash. Thanks for the help anyways.

Kaye wrote:4. In order to do anything about the sound, we need more information. Post the output of
inxi -A

Audio: Card-1 VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio
Card-2 Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1driver EMU10K1_Audigy
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.18rc3

@thx1138, thanks for the help, no luck though still a slideshow.

EDIT: Found that forum post and it was 2 years old, sorry for misremembering. Anyways, formated and installed Mint 6 XFCE and all the above solutions worked great. Guess Gloria is just too much of an upgrade for that old of a system. Again thanks to everyone who replied.
CoinTos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to XFCE