No icons No right mousebutton menu desktop XFCE MiNT8-SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No icons No right mousebutton menu desktop XFCE MiNT8-SOLVED

Postby xaser on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

hello!

I would like to ask help with a issue with my desktop in XFCE-MiNT 8.

I made my MiNT XFCE install few weeks ago and all was working very nice, until today.

I was need a more recent imagemagick version than the one thah came with karmic, so I simply enable the repo from Lucid, update package list on synaptic, install the imagemagick version of Lucid (only this package and 2 dependencies but all from im package only, nothing of the system, and check that well). I amde this solution in past weeks in a previous install and work well.

However, this time when I reboot my laptop, found that I have missing the icons in the desktop (trash, dirs, hard drives,etc), and also lost the Right-mouse-button menu that also have the option to configure the desktop. I also try the desktop configuration menu, inside the mint menu, and try to change the background of the desktop, and didnt work too (no change in the background).

After this, I try to install the XFCE MiNT 8 desktop settings packages with synaptic, and complete the process, then reboot but still no luck, no icons, no right-mouse-button menu, and no background change responding. I will like to set everything as normal and default for MiNT 8 but have no ideas hot to resolve now.

Please, if could be some advice in roder to solve this, I would like to avoid the need to reinstall MiNT 8 again from the beginning, and supppose that this may be something that could be fixable.

Thanks for the attention and best regards
Last edited by xaser on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No icons+no right-mouse-button menu in desktop XFCE-MiNT

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Sounds like xfdesktop isn't running.
You can open System Monitor to check if it's running.
You can press Alt+F2 and run xfdesktop & to see if that works.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Re: No icons+no right-mouse-button menu in desktop XFCE-MiNT

Postby xaser on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:11 am

Hello!

I checked it by using press Alt+F2 and then run xfdesktop, and everything appears to work again. I fixed it by reinstall the xfdesktop 2 packages again and reboot and then all seems normal now.

Thank You very much for You kind attention and help!

Best regards from Costa Rica! Pura Vida! :-)
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No icons No right mousebutton menu desktop XFCE MiNT8-SO

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Glad you got it working again. :D
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Return to XFCE