When will LM9 XFCE be available?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

When will LM9 XFCE be available?

Postby mikhou on Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Just curious if anybody knows when the XFCE edition will be available in relation to the final Main edition. I'm using Main and love it, but I'd like to toy around with XFCE. Thanks.

mikhou
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: When will LM9 XFCE be available?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 am

Mint versions are not tied to fixed release dates. They are released when the development ant testing team feels that they are ready. Normally, within a month or two of the Main Edition release.

If it will be delayed significantly, the team will post to the forum with explanations.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby keljaden on Fri May 14, 2010 11:30 am

I gave Mint 8 XFCE and I was surprised at how quick it was. I customized to have a mac feel to it, but felt one option that gnome's compiz and kde's kwin have, but xfce's compositor has neglected...

The expose' feature on the mac (Kompose' for my Kmint8 install on my desktop and laptop) is my most used compositing effect feature.

I would love to have this effect in XFCE without having to switch to the bloated compiz-fusion...

I also attempted to use the compiz fusion that mint 8 xfce came with...not only did it slow down my system (a lil bit), but crashed consistently, and awn had trouble upon boot.

Any way to get that effect to work in xfce? is compiz more stable in the new release? help.
keljaden
Level 3
Level 3

Postby thehomer on Sat May 15, 2010 10:10 am

Aging Technogeek wrote:Mint versions are not tied to fixed release dates. They are released when the development ant testing team feels that they are ready. Normally, within a month or two of the Main Edition release.

If it will be delayed significantly, the team will post to the forum with explanations.

I have a question, Linux Mint have Main Edition and many CE. like LM XFCE, how many people develop it? If only one, that must a hard work.
thehomer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sat May 15, 2010 10:34 am

There is a small development team that cooperates to get all the versions issued as quickly as they meet the high standards of Mint.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby mikhou on Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 pm

So...out of curiosity, who is on the XFCE development team? Do they contribute to other DE's as well, or are they just working on XFCE? Will there be an RC, or do they just release the XFCE version when it's ready? Typically, how long does that take?

I'm amazed at the knowledge of folks out there who know so much about so many different environments. I'm just a guy who likes to play around on the computer and try new things (which is how I got into Linux in the first place). Heck, I'm amazed at the knowledge on these boards alone. You guys are pretty impressive and have been more helpful to me than you could know.

mikhou
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Return to XFCE