Mint XFCE is actually quite fast.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Mint XFCE is actually quite fast.

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Nevermind.

I installed the 64 bit version and used something other than firefox and this distro is very fast and responsive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mmesantos1

Re: LM-XFCE uses less resources without going any faster?

Post by mmesantos1 »

Nick_Djinn wrote:Maybe its just firefox, but XFCE seems to crash and pause a lot for me on this computer. I like XFCE because its faster and has most of the functionality of Gnome, that I like a little better than KDE despite not looking quite as sleek....I mostly prefer XFCE interface to LXDE, but this system is NOT flying. It does however use less resources....I dont need that. I have 4gb ram and might upgrade to 6gb or 8. I also have a quad core Phenom, which seemed like a good deal for the money and I put the rest into an Nvidia video card instead of buying an i7.

Do you think that on a faster newer computer I would be better off just using Gnome or KDE?

If I install LXDE over a Gnome base, am I still going to see some serious speed gains on a system where low resource use is less of an issue, or is there a better way to go about this?
Well I would go gnome, but that is my personal preference. You seem to have a good PC, did you install the Nvidia driver? if so make sure it is the correct one. You can run the hardware driver app and it will recommended the correct one for your video card if you have not done so. But with 4gb ram and a AMD quad core you should not have any issues with performance. Well I would not think so. I use a AMD dual core and 4GB ram with Nvidia GTX 260 and I run Gnome, KDE and it all runs well. Again I do not know which Video card you have but I would guess you should be running fine.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Video cards and drivers certainly do have a lot to do with how Mint Xfce performs. I have an Intel video card that runs nice 'n' fast on LM8, but was extremely slow and problematic on LM9 (both Xfce editions, which I prefer as well). I have asked about kernel updates to LM9 and never gotten an answer, so I 'reckon I'll just be using LM8 until it runs out of support, then look for an Intel-video-friendly distro to switch to...

-R
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Mine is a 9 series G something, 768mb I think? The video card is awesome. That is definitely not the bottle neck.

Maybe firefox isnt the best benchmark if its using an older version, but it didnt seem that stable or that much faster....just used less resources.
Nick_Djinn

Re: Mint XFCE is actually quite fast.

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Im glas we can edit titles.

Im giving XFCE another try, a clean installation 64bit this time, and it seems to be really fast this time.
deleted

Re: Mint XFCE is actually quite fast.

Post by deleted »

I found that it's extremely fast (at least the 64 bit version), whether in a VM or on a real PC... I just installed it on a real PC (Dell Optiplex 755 with 8 gigs of RAM). It's running 2 VMs, an XP one configured with 1.5 gigs of RAM and a 64-bit Ubuntu configured with 4 gigs of RAM (with JBOSS and all that good web app stuff). I can even run compiz on it. I don't even think I'm even working it hard yet ;)
-Hinto

Return to “Xfce”