Why not merge with LMDE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Borsook

Why not merge with LMDE?

Post by Borsook »

It seems to me that merging with LMDE could be a good idea, basically it would only require a small modification to the installer to allow the choice of the default DE, even the software selection is pretty much similar now...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why not merge with LMDE?

Post by TBABill »

What do you mean by merge with LMDE? It's a standalone offering not based on Ubuntu. Just trying to understand or clarify what you mean.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

TBABill wrote:What do you mean by merge with LMDE? It's a standalone offering not based on Ubuntu. Just trying to understand or clarify what you mean.
i think the original poster meant put both on the same ISO letting the user choose between which one they want to install
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Makes a lot of sense to me as most of it is Gnome anyway, they didn't even change the icon for the file manager from Nautilus to Thunar
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

One of the things that folks with download caps and/or slow access speeds object to is package size creep. If a new combo package was significantly large then the current options there would probably be even more objections. Lets face it its hard to keep everybody happy.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

cpatrick08 wrote:
TBABill wrote:What do you mean by merge with LMDE? It's a standalone offering not based on Ubuntu. Just trying to understand or clarify what you mean.
i think the original poster meant put both on the same ISO letting the user choose between which one they want to install
Yes, I meant one common install .iso, sure it would meant bigger size, but let's face it - at 900mb it is not for the faint of bandwidth anyway, plus thanks to rolling nature it does not have to be re-downloaded. Without autologin the user could choose the DE at the start, the only thing that remains is modifying the installer... but a chance for such modification is the biggest boon from not using Ubuntu's installer.
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

jeffreyC wrote:Makes a lot of sense to me as most of it is Gnome anyway, they didn't even change the icon for the file manager from Nautilus to Thunar
True. this is another small bug in the LMDE Xfce theme, but I think it's the Faenza icon theme to blame. It actually has an icon for Thunar (look for it in the settings menu), but for what should have been a generic "file manager" they use a Nautilus.

This is only one small example to the fact that Faenza is broken.

Return to “Xfce”