SOLVED! Xfce Debian Update = Confused...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED! Xfce Debian Update = Confused...

Post by Meteor »

I've just installed the Mint Debian version of Xfce and am working my way around it. The install straight from the LiveCD went well. Everything appears to work. The little update icon at the lower right of the screen showed the OS was up-to-date. Maybe I made unnecessary work for my self by going into Terminal and doing a "sudo apt-get && sudo apt-get dist" upgrade, but I've done it. Nothing installed, however... The aforementioned icon now shows "292 recommended updates available (335 MB)". I'm offered what appears to be the "normal" Mint Update to install this vast list to my system.

I understood from reading through the LMDE forum that Mint Update doesn't work well with Debian. Is it OK for me to install these 292 updates? If so, does this make Mint Debian Xfce no longer a "RC"?

I noticed from the list of the 292 updates Open Office has changes and LibreOffice is to be installed. Does this mean I will now have two "Office" packages on my system? I'd go with LibreOffice so OOo and all its associates should be deleted. If so, I assume that I use Synaptic to do this?

Why wasn't OOo deleted if LibreOffice is being installed? (Just curious...)

Obviously, I'm rather confused as to what I should be doing now. Your guidance will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Xfce Debian Update = Confused...

Post by AlbertP »

OO is removed when Updater installs LibreOffice. Debian have removed OO from their repositories and transformed the OO package into a link to LO, meaning that OO is replaced by LO when updating it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mads

Post by mads »

Meteor wrote:I understood from reading through the LMDE forum that Mint Update doesn't work well with Debian.
Correct. :)

And you can follow the latest news about this issue in this thread: Your system is up to date
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

You can also update via System>Synatpic package manager

click on reload after it has 'updates' you can now click Mark all upgrades. Using RC and upgrading does make you system stable but for prude in me would rather use the stable debian xfce.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED! Xfce Debian Update = Confused...

Post by Meteor »

Many thanks to all who responded. I'm no longer "Confused" and have marked this post as "solved".

All the updates appear to have come in and set themselves in place. OOo was removed, replaced with LibreOffice and it appears to work very well with brief testing. I guess I'll be finding the new programmes and may notice what was updated.

Now to learn Xfce -- I used Julia Gnome prior...

Meteor

Return to “Xfce”