restoring auto login (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
titus

restoring auto login (SOLVED)

Post by titus »

Hello,
I recently re-installed LXDE with the password login enabled. Now it's no longer necessary to secure the pc (I'm the only one using it) I'd like to have auto login.
In the past I've just changed the preference in GUI menu but this isn't available on the new install. I'm sure it's just a matter of commenting in/out something somewhere in /etc but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone help with a pointer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: restoring auto login

Post by jjaythomas »

Maybe this...

I asked on forum awhile back and got this way. (didn't suit me, had 2 users, but now got wife own tablet!) :D
It lets me turn on the computer, go into kitchen (or wherever) and comeback to a already to use desktop. No login screen at all. :)

Edit your Daemon file as below

gksu gedit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

and add the lines below daemon

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=me

P.S. can still find thread on forums search for "auto login lmde"

Hopes help
J.Jay
titus

Post by titus »

J.Jay Thanks,
Unfortunately I've already tried that with no change. Taking a look in /etc/gdm3 I find that /daemon.conf lists the other scripts and the automaticlogin lines are in /daemon.conf.dpkg-dist but changing them has made no difference to my log in.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

mine just did...

reedit a fresh install 201109ISO upgraded to UP4

I copy the (2) lines the [daemon] line already present and change second line to ..=username (in this case manage) I usally have a manage user with sudo rights and myself (jjay) user without admin rights.

I usually in teriminal go sudo thunar, Then navigate to file to edit (need sudo rights for file) then open in gedit/leafpad/mousepad paste lines in and change users name then resave.

works for me?
P.S. goes to last saved session, so I assume if I also used gnome would autologin to whatever used last (change with log out not restart to change. (I only have 1 DE(XFCE) :wink:

Hope Helps
J.Jay
titus

Re: restoring auto login (Solved)

Post by titus »

JJay,
You were right. I simply entered the two lines which I initially altered in /daemon.conf.dpkg-dist into /daemon.conf and it worked.
Many thanks for your help.
Titus.
jjaythomas

Re: restoring auto login (SOLVED)

Post by jjaythomas »

Glad worked :D
I originally (way back post) put the [deamon] line in didn't realize already their :oops:

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Re: restoring auto login (SOLVED)

Post by jjaythomas »

MDM

That was the old way the new ISO now has MDM (replaces GDM3).
Auto login can be configured from the main menu -'system-login window' now.
Its the old GDM2 (MDM for the mate version, I guess :?: )

Future Help?
J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”