Desktop launcher icons?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Desktop launcher icons?

Postby lwrver on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am

I have never used xfce, but would like to try it. I can't find an easy way to add launcher icons to the desktop. Traditionally I place icons for the applications I use most right on the desktop, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. A fresh install has several icons already installed there, but i can't find a way to add the others. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
lwrver
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Desktop launcher icons?

Postby ukbrian on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:01 pm

I think the easiest way is to start up thunar and go to /usr/share/applications and copy/paste the ones you want to your desktop
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (Solved) Desktop launcher icons?

Postby lwrver on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks ukbrian. That's the clue I needed. Funny that I couldn't find any previous references regarding this issue. I appreciate your help.
lwrver
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jjaythomas on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:56 pm

The Easy way

1. drag and drop from application finder onto desktop
2.right click on empty desktop and select from (right click) menu create launcher. **Can make bookmarks also** :wink:
3. can drag drop from main menu onto desktop (not sure if with LMDE version yet)

unfortunatlly you can't arange icons on desktop (auto arange only)unles in panel :wink: next version .4.10 has this feature.

J.Jay
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lwrver on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks for the follow up JJ. Guess I'm just spoiled to Gnome, where I just right click from the app menu and select "add to desktop". :)
lwrver
Level 2
Level 2

Return to XFCE