Basic question: disabling exim4

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Basic question: disabling exim4

Postby mikecz on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 am

I am running LMDE XFCE, and have noticed that the machine is running the exim4 mail server. I don't use the machine as anything other than a desktop, and before I disable it I want to ask if there is any downside to doing this.

MikeC
mikecz
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Basic question: disabling exim4

Postby Transitman on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

mikecz wrote:I am running LMDE XFCE, and have noticed that the machine is running the exim4 mail server. I don't use the machine as anything other than a desktop, and before I disable it I want to ask if there is any downside to doing this.

MikeC

I do not have exim4 installed on my LMDE XFCE/MATE/LXDE machine.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Basic question: disabling exim4

Postby mikecz on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:09 am

Transitman wrote:
mikecz wrote:I am running LMDE XFCE, and have noticed that the machine is running the exim4 mail server. I don't use the machine as anything other than a desktop, and before I disable it I want to ask if there is any downside to doing this.

MikeC

I do not have exim4 installed on my LMDE XFCE/MATE/LXDE machine.

Neither did I until Update Pack 3 (the message about exim4 during startup and shutdown has been there while, but I only decided to take action on it after my shenanigans with UP4; I spent quite a lot of time staring at startup and shutdown screens.... ;-~ )

Sounds like I can not only disable the startup script, but I can remove the package as well.

MikeC
mikecz
Level 2
Level 2

Return to XFCE