Mint Debian

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint Debian

Postby cmost on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Thank you! By the way, I tested your pre-built ISO image in a VirtualBox machine and all I can say is Wow!! I got goosebumps when I saw the Mint splash screen and 100% Debian underneath. This really is great work!!! Have you had a look at some of the logo ideas that were posted to this thread? Some of these were very good: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=8417&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

My personal favorite (and the one I believe to be most appropriate) is this one from Zwopper (it's the last post on page 4...oooh...pretty!!: :D
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=8417&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Zwopper on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:02 am

cmost wrote:Thank you! By the way, I tested your pre-built ISO image in a VirtualBox machine and all I can say is Wow!! I got goosebumps when I saw the Mint splash screen and 100% Debian underneath. This really is great work!!! Have you had a look at some of the logo ideas that were posted to this thread? Some of these were very good: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=8417&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

My personal favorite (and the one I believe to be most appropriate) is this one from Zwopper (it's the last post on page 4...oooh...pretty!!: :D
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=8417&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

Thank you cmost! I'm glad you like it!
Like I stated in that thread, I can polish it if it's needed, I'll have a go at it! :idea:
I will give you all a howl when I'm done! :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby eeezzzeee on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm

I really hope this project gets traction and becomes a reality. It would be a great way to show people who aren't familiar with Mint that Mint is not just Ubuntu + Codecs.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Guestman on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:15 am

eeezzzeee wrote:Mint is not just Ubuntu + Codecs.

Here rather Mint Debian = Debian + codecs :wink:
Guestman

Postby maybeway36 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Zwopper: I really like your logo. If you come up with a desktop wallpaper, I would love to see it. :)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:06 am

maybeway36 wrote:Zwopper: I really like your logo. If you come up with a desktop wallpaper, I would love to see it. :)

OK!
Give me a day or two... :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby stevendbrady on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:16 am

Wow, I don't know if I should be excited or frustrated! I loved the speed of the Darnya alpha of Debian Mint, so I installed it. I wanted to run some updates, got into a mess, upgraded my install of Daryna Debian Mint to Elyssa, came to the forum to find answers to my mintMenu issues, and find out THERE'S A NEW ISO!? Holy freaking crap! That would be so awesome if I hadn't already completed my upgrade!

Ouch. :cry:

I'm excited to see how far this goes, tho. I'd love to see it be installable, so Mint users can gain some of that awesome Debian speed and still have an easy and enhanced user experience.

Good luck! I will be keeping my eye on this thread.
stevendbrady
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm not sure how you upgraded the Mint Debian alpha to Daryna, considering they use completely different repositories (the Debian variant using Debian repositories and Daryna using Ubuntu's.) What you might have done is upgrade the original Debian to the new, upcoming Debian Lenny release. In any ccase, I'm not surprised you ran into some trouble.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stevendbrady on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Pretty simple ... changed the Mint repo from Daryna to Elyssa ... the actual Debian Mint Alpha repos were already Debian "testing" ... just had tons and tons of changes since then. :D
stevendbrady
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maybeway36 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:41 pm

How did you install the Daryna Debian release in the first place? I didn't think it had an installer.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stevendbrady on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 pm

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=18845

It was pretty easy, actually. I changed it up a bit, because I had issues with grub, but there are the basics right there.
stevendbrady
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eeezzzeee on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:53 am

Would it be possible to modify the debian net installer to install a debian mint base, then have mint packages you could add onto it. Like building a debian install from the base, only a modified debian mint. Then the user could select everything they wanted on their system. I know that kind of goes against how Mint is set up now with the elegant everything working out of the box philosophy, but I'm sure that it would appeal to the tinkerer's. I just got done with a debian xfce build, and I like how it runs, but I don't like things like not being able to easily install firefox (i know iceweasel is supposed to be the same, but i just can't come to like it for some reason). Being able to build Mint Debian in that way would be awesome.
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby maybeway36 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 pm

You can install the mint-debian metapackage without Recommends and you should just get the bare essentials (GNOME and the minty themes.)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eeezzzeee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that what I asked was kind of how you built it, sometimes it pays to reread the whole thread before you ask a questions. if I get some time this weekend I'll try install it and check it out. Thanks.
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby maybeway36 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 am

I just put out a sort of maintenance release, MintDebianAug19.iso (MD5: b37c8f7522a9f260eb544c6d7703f7ae)
Changes:
[*]The old mint-artwork package is now separated into mint-artwork and mint-debian-settings.
[*]The Debian netboot installer is put into the image with live-helper's built-in functionality instead of a custom script. This doesn't really matter, except that it changes the menu option names a bit.
[*]A new package called "mint-debian-artwork" is included. Currently, it contains wallpapers and GDM themes by cmost and Phill.
[*]All the packages on the Live CD have been updated to the newest Debian lenny as of August 19.
Also, there is a new install-only disc: MintDebianAug19InstallOnly.iso (MD5: f9fd593d8dadc147412ca96155f2cb8f)
This disc is a remaster of Debian's mini.iso that also contains the apt-cdrom packages just like the full CD. This way, you can install Debian and then add the metapackage to make it Mint Debian. Since most of the install components are downloaded during the install process, the ISO is only 20MB! :)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby red-e-made on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:30 am

maybeway36, I just wanted to join the chorus of appreciation for your efforts here. Thanks very much.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dasunsrule32 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:50 pm

ROCK OUT! I didn't even know anyone was actually doing this! I love it! Please, keep up the good work. I am learning about Linux everyday, so if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know! I really want a Debian based distro, rather than an Ubuntu. Let me know! Thanks to all who are doing this!
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His ONLY begotten Son, that whosoever should believe on Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life."
dasunsrule32
Level 1
Level 1

Postby codepilot on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:10 am

Hello folks,

Debian Mint seems to be a possible solution for my problem I have with Elyssia and my computer => http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16940. I can't test it right now, but it seems to be solution!

maybeway36, please keep up this great work, and let us know if you're releasing a new version. If I had the knowledge on Linux (I'm only coding on Linux, but did nothing yet on administrating/installing/configuring right now), I would relly like help you that this project is moving forward.

So long,
~codepilot
codepilot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kidtienk on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 am

maybeway36 wrote:I just put out a sort of maintenance release, MintDebianAug19.iso (MD5: b37c8f7522a9f260eb544c6d7703f7ae)
Changes:
[*]The old mint-artwork package is now separated into mint-artwork and mint-debian-settings.
[*]The Debian netboot installer is put into the image with live-helper's built-in functionality instead of a custom script. This doesn't really matter, except that it changes the menu option names a bit.
[*]A new package called "mint-debian-artwork" is included. Currently, it contains wallpapers and GDM themes by cmost and Phill.
[*]All the packages on the Live CD have been updated to the newest Debian lenny as of August 19.
Also, there is a new install-only disc: MintDebianAug19InstallOnly.iso (MD5: f9fd593d8dadc147412ca96155f2cb8f)
This disc is a remaster of Debian's mini.iso that also contains the apt-cdrom packages just like the full CD. This way, you can install Debian and then add the metapackage to make it Mint Debian. Since most of the install components are downloaded during the install process, the ISO is only 20MB! :)

I don't know why, but i can't download iso from filefront.
Can some body give me a mirror? some direct link, maybe?
tx.
kidtienk

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion