Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint Debian

Post by bug67 »

ikey wrote:Maybe that Intel stuff...
I'm wondering if this needs to be made into a bug report or if this is something that is just a symptom of a combo of my n00bness/hardware. I'm sure I can sort it using the tools that have been provided.

If it is a true bug, on the other hand, I'm wondering if I should just wait for the official patch.
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

mint debian? AWESOME!

And that so shortly after me starting to play with pure debian testing. converting debian to mint failed (probably in part because I had sudo deactivated and allowed root-login) so I did a fresh install
Been playing around on virtualbox and I'm really considering switching to it. This could with a bit of polish become THE ubuntu-killer :)

Just a side note: With chromium-browser having vanished form the squeeze repos wouldn't it make sense to have that package on the lm deb repository? Maybe synched to the versions used by the google-chrome stable releases?
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

bug67 wrote:
ikey wrote:Maybe that Intel stuff...
I'm wondering if this needs to be made into a bug report or if this is something that is just a symptom of a combo of my n00bness/hardware. I'm sure I can sort it using the tools that have been provided.

If it is a true bug, on the other hand, I'm wondering if I should just wait for the official patch.
Did you try installing libgl1-mesa-dri? Or removing the nvidia packages?
Sometimes the installation just doesn't go well, like the CD isn't properly burnt or the installer failed at copying files or whatever.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

gotjazz wrote: Just a side note: With chromium-browser having vanished form the squeeze repos wouldn't it make sense to have that package on the lm deb repository? Maybe synched to the versions used by the google-chrome stable releases?
Good idea. But for now you can get all Google software including 'Google Chrome Stable', 'Google Chrome beta' and 'Google Chrome Unstable' (that's how they're labeled) listed in Synaptic by adding the 'Google Linux Software Repositories'.

Add the following to your 'sources.list'.

Code: Select all

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main
Then bring up the terminal and type (for the key and update):

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add - && apt-get update 
Once that's done, you can install any version of Chrome that I listed above into LMDE via Synaptic or the terminal. Of course if you've done this already... :P
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

kmb42vt wrote:To me it sounds like the name of an antacid. :D
The name change reminds me of an anti-fungal cream! :shock:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

secipolla wrote:Did you try installing libgl1-mesa-dri? Or removing the nvidia packages?
Yes. I can now play my card games. Thanks. Now off to sort out Compiz. :D
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

ikey wrote:Maybe that Intel stuff could be made into a script?

I have NOT tested this yet, kinda hoping someone checks it, confirms it works
and makes it better
I've been paying with this a bit and added a couple of things like screens clearing as it works an updating the repos before installing the mesa driver. It seems to work okay at my end. I'd be interested in feedback

#!/bin/bash

# check for root
if [[ $UID -ne 0 ]]; then
     echo "This script must run as root. Good bye."
	sleep 3s
     exit
fi

# Purging nvidia stuff
	echo "Removing nvidia drivers.."
	apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv
	sleep 2s

# Is mesa (direct rendering) lib installed?
if [[ `apt show libgl1-mesa-dri | grep -i "installed" | grep -i "yes"` ]]; then
     	echo "Mesa drivers already installed. Finished"
	sleep 2s
else
	clear
	echo "Mesa drivers not found - installing now"
	sleep 2s
	clear
	echo "Updating existing packages before install"
	sleep 2s
	apt-get update
	sleep 2s
	clear
	echo "Installing mesa drivers"
	apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
	sleep 2s
fi
	clear
	echo "Reconfiguring the X display server"
	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
	sleep 2s

# done
echo "Installation complete."
I've also been putting together a blog post with several LMDE compiz fixes outlined. I hope you find it useful. http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=680
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

secipolla wrote:
bug67 wrote:
omns wrote:bug67 you seem to have the same intel card that I have one one of my machines. To solve this problem I had to remove the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xserver-xorg-video-nv packages then run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I restarted X and all was well. I don't fully understand why this works as the removed packages aren't intel related.
I don't know how to do any of the stuff you suggest. When I get some time (if I don't get frustrated and re-install Helena) I may poke around a bit and see if I can figure it out. I saw a thread elsewhere about Compiz not working. There was some terminal commands given as a solution and a similar GLX error was returned. Compiz isn't working on my machine either. Wonder if tw friens is all related.

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Reboot.

You may also check if libgl1-mesa-dri is installed

apt-cache policy libgl1-mesa-dri
if it isn't, then

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
and reboot.
My compiz wasn't working either until now, following these steps, and since i also have a Inte® GM45 Express Chipset i now can set compiz to run and starting compiz from Terminal the output is as follow:

amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ compiz --replace
Backend     : gconf
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing place options...done
Initializing decoration options...done
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
Initializing gnomecompat options...done
Initializing svg options...done
Initializing wobbly options...done
Initializing mousepoll options...done
Initializing imgjpeg options...done
Initializing text options...done
compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/debian-blueish-wallpaper-640x480.png
Initializing cube options...done
Initializing thumbnail options...done
Initializing 3d options...done
Initializing rotate options...done
Initializing cubeaddon options...done
Setting Update "next_slide_key"
Setting Update "raise_on_rotate"
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
As far as i can tell and see everything seems fine, but i may be missing something...
Of course after reboot the settings are lost, and now my question is which the best way to have compiz on logon? add it to startup applications or the script mmesantos1 and ikey created?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
Oog!
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

zerozero wrote:As far as i can tell and see everything seems fine, but i may be missing something...
Of course after reboot the settings are lost, and now my question is which the best way to have compiz on logon? add it to startup applications or the script mmesantos1 and ikey created?
Either solution needs to be added to your startup applications. Adding a new item with the command compiz --replace is probably the easiest method.
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

I got the card games working. I also got Compiz to work by doing:

compiz --replace  &
And, all is well...until I log out/re-boot. I saved to following in gedit and added it to start-up items but, it's not sticking:

#!/bin/sh
echo “Get Some”
if [[ `pidof compiz` ]]; then
    # compiz running, nuke it.
    metacity --replace &
    killall -9 compiz
else
   # no compiz.
   compiz --replace &
fi
Any ideas?

EDIT:

OK. I removed the script and just added

compiz --replace
to startup items with no "&" at the end of it. Now, Compiz is set when I log out, log back in. :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

omns wrote:
zerozero wrote:As far as i can tell and see everything seems fine, but i may be missing something...
Either solution needs to be added to your startup applications. Adding a new item with the command compiz --replace is probably the easiest method.
I just did exactly that and after reboot, voila!! joy!! compiz is up and running.
Just for the safe i changed the time in the script that starts conky from 10 to 20 and alls fine!!

Tks a lot
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

bug67 wrote:I saved to following in gedit and added it to start-up items but, it's not sticking:

#!/bin/sh
echo “Get Some”
if [[ `pidof compiz` ]]; then
    # compiz running, nuke it.
    metacity --replace &
    killall -9 compiz
else
   # no compiz.
   compiz --replace &
fi
Any ideas?
Did you make the script executable?
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

I don't know how to make it executable so, no. :oops:

I did get it working by adding just the line "compiz --replace" to startup items.

Now, however, I think I've borked something else. I like to have a work space applet running in my panel. However, the one that's there has zero preferences. I.E. I can't change the number of work spaces nor can I even switch to another work space. To be honest, I can't remember if it worked before I made all these changes or not. All I know is I prefer 3 spaces and I can't change from the default 4 and I can't even switch out of 1! :shock:

Thanks, everyone, for being so patient with me.
shayney

Post by shayney »

kmb42vt wrote:
gotjazz wrote:Good idea. But for now you can get all Google software including 'Google Chrome Stable', 'Google Chrome beta' and 'Google Chrome Unstable' (that's how they're labeled) listed in Synaptic by adding the 'Google Linux Software Repositories'.
I for one would rather have chromium over chrome.
Mean reason being the way chrome seems to fiddle my search results.
Chrome DOES do ad tracking (which is inherited by chromium) which is mentioned in their privacy policy and includes how to disable it.
But the search results are something else.

I happened to notice that searching exactly the same thing in chrome (for example, "linux mint" or "mandriva") was giving me odd results.
The entire first page of both searches was giving links to many ad-heavy review sites without a single to link to any official site or forum for mint or mandriva.
The same searches in firefox, chromium, midori etc were giving the official home pages of both sites as first results followed by forums and distrowatch and wikipedia pages etc.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

shayney wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:
gotjazz wrote:Good idea. But for now you can get all Google software including 'Google Chrome Stable', 'Google Chrome beta' and 'Google Chrome Unstable' (that's how they're labeled) listed in Synaptic by adding the 'Google Linux Software Repositories'.
I for one would rather have chromium over chrome.
Mean reason being the way chrome seems to fiddle my search results.
Chrome DOES do ad tracking (which is inherited by chromium) which is mentioned in their privacy policy and includes how to disable it.
But the search results are something else.

I happened to notice that searching exactly the same thing in chrome (for example, "linux mint" or "mandriva") was giving me odd results.
The entire first page of both searches was giving links to many ad-heavy review sites without a single to link to any official site or forum for mint or mandriva.
The same searches in firefox, chromium, midori etc were giving the official home pages of both sites as first results followed by forums and distrowatch and wikipedia pages etc.
I've added certain applications form repos that are targeted for Ubuntu rather than Debian without a problem so far. So I can't see why Chromium would be any different. You can find the PPA for Ubuntu daily builds of the Chromium browser here:

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

So far the few programs I've added from Ubuntu related PPAs have installed and worked fine. I have a feeling that since the directory hierarchy for Debian and Ubuntu is basically the same I expect most 3rd party programs for either distro to install without too much of a problem. However, system components, modules, system files and such that are directly related to the OS itself (such as Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers module for a gross example) I wouldn't expect to be at all compatible. Any corrections to my theory here are welcome of course. :mrgreen:

Let me know if it works.

Edit - You can download an older version (6.* vs 7.*) of the Chromium from the sid repos via this page:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/chromium-browser

I wouldn't advise actually replacing the Testing repo with the sid repo as they suggest at the top of the page but you can download individual .deb files at the bottom of the page (i386, amd64). I haven't tried this mind you so I don't know if it actually works or not.
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

kmb42vt wrote:
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
Oog!
aptosid
probably a mix of Apoptosis(a living organism's cell undergoing a controlled death) and Sidux

:lol:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Joylove wrote:
aptosid
probably a mix of Apoptosis(a living organism's cell undergoing a controlled death) and Sidux

:lol:
Someone needs to talk to these people! (And yes, all this may be a bit off topic but it sure is fun).
nadir

Post by nadir »

kmb42vt wrote:
I've added certain applications form repos that are targeted for Ubuntu rather than Debian without a problem so far. So I can't see why Chromium would be any different. You can find the PPA for Ubuntu daily builds of the Chromium browser here:

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

So far the few programs I've added from Ubuntu related PPAs have installed and worked fine. I have a feeling that since the directory hierarchy for Debian and Ubuntu is basically the same I expect most 3rd party programs for either distro to install without too much of a problem. However, system components, modules, system files and such that are directly related to the OS itself (such as Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers module for a gross example) I wouldn't expect to be at all compatible. Any corrections to my theory here are welcome of course. :mrgreen:

Let me know if it works.

Edit - You can download an older version (6.* vs 7.*) of the Chromium from the sid repos via this page:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/chromium-browser

I wouldn't advise actually replacing the Testing repo with the sid repo as they suggest at the top of the page but you can download individual .deb files at the bottom of the page (i386, amd64). I haven't tried this mind you so I don't know if it actually works or not.
What i will post is valid for Debian.
I don't know if it is valid for Linux Mint Debian.

a)In general it is not a very good idea to add applications targeted at Ubuntu on a Debian system
(for some it might work, for some it doesn't, it might work for a while and then it might suddenly make trouble).
People who know what they are doing might do it, besides that it is not recommended.

b) In case one really needs application from Debian unstable (aka sid ) there is one recommended way. It is nice and easy, and it will save trouble:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15612

c) If there are applications one think one can't live without there is still the option to compile them from source:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 76&start=0

Debian is a rock solid distribution with tons of apps. I can't think of a single application which is so important that i would give up the stablity Debian offers.
Same seems to be valid for the Mint version of Debian. I wouldn't bork it by adding questionable third-party repos or deb's, by compiling from source or by mixing it with unstable or upgrade to unstable (though, like said, the last two points are recommended ways of doing it. They are still operations of sweaty hands).

Once the freeze of testing is over apps will arrive quite fast in testing from unstable. Don't get used to bad habits only cause Debian is in the freeze atm.

Like said: that was the Debian point of view which might differ from the Linux-Mint-Debian point of view.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

nadir wrote:
What i will post is valid for Debian.
I don't know if it is valid for Linux Mint Debian.

a)In general it is not a very good idea to add applications targeted at Ubuntu on a Debian system
(for some it might work, for some it doesn't, it might work for a while and then it might suddenly make trouble).
People who know what they are doing might do it, besides that it is not recommended.

b) In case one really needs application from Debian unstable (aka sid ) there is one recommended way. It is nice and easy, and it will save trouble:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15612

c) If there are applications one think one can't live without there is still the option to compile them from source:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 76&start=0

Debian is a rock solid distribution with tons of apps. I can't think of a single application which is so important that i would give up the stability Debian offers.
Same seems to be valid for the Mint version of Debian. I wouldn't bork it by adding questionable third-party repos or deb's, by compiling from source or by mixing it with unstable or upgrade to unstable (though, like said, the last two points are recommended ways of doing it. They are still operations of sweaty hands).

Once the freeze of testing is over apps will arrive quite fast in testing from unstable. Don't get used to bad habits only cause Debian is in the freeze atm.

Like said: that was the Debian point of view which might differ from the Linux-Mint-Debian point of view.
nadir - Excellent points and I certainly won't argue them as I would state the same for any pure Debian stable/testing installation. With that said I'll say that any of my suggestions on this particular thread are just that; suggestions. Most I've tried myself without a problem, some I haven't attempted myself and am relying on past experience alone and I'll make sure I state that. I do have to assume though that anyone who's posting on this thread and has already installed LMDE should know what their doing, more or less.

Return to “LMDE Archive”