Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Post by zerozero »

ikey in the topic LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p371278
ikey wrote:A repeated theme I'm noticing is that LMDE lacks its own real identity. Maybe
the community would like to answer that in their own way :)
I do agree here.
The Main Edition theme is nice, but is exactly that the Main Edition theme. I, too, think we need a specific branding for LMDE.
And the community can have a huge role into that.
Me, i'm useless :mrgreen: , i can't code, i can pick a gtkrc and tweak it a bit and in the end is always worst than the original :lol: ,

But we have gifted people around here;
Aren't you interested in make LMDE's look & feel different?
Let's ear how we can answer this challenge.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread stickied
Rifester

Re: Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Post by Rifester »

Marc? Lou Jr.? Are you out there? Here is the perfect chance for the two of you to work together and design an awesome theme together. LMDE wants you (or if I am being perfectly honest I would love to have a couple of themes designed by you and know it would help LMDE)!

Rifester
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:D Tks Rifester and ikey, those were 2 of the names i was thinking about :mrgreen:
I believe Marc and Lou can give a special look&feel to LMDE.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I also put out a Dent on the Mint and LMDE groups over at identi.ca. If anyone using Twitter wants to Tweet about it, that might help rally the troops. :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I went ahead and Dented to the Debian and Ubuntu groups. There may be some interest from those camps as well. We are getting quite a few Ubuntu people in the forums lately, as well as some Debian folks. LMDE is quite popular. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

great idea!

just one thoguth: nothing toooooo elaborate please. keep it simple and remember usability.

For my part, I'm a huge fan of equinox (especially equinox evolution light) over all elementary or orta things. and it is just as minty as mint-x just from changing the marked entry color to something minty green (copied the color of mint-x myself).
Of course it can easily a bit more elaborate than just THAT - just thought I'd mention how i keep things mint :mrgreen:

I think default wallpapers (and gdm/grub stuff as well) would be a bigger issue anyway.
Maybe throw in a nice simple minty conky.....
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

oh and nautilus elementary by default would be nice

on the other hand it's not in active development anymore and could cause dependeny problems at some point.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

My first experience with Conky was on DSL. I thought it was pretty sweet, but I've never tried how to learn and write my own script for it.

If you go that direction, transparent mint green would be really nice.

My .02,
Dave
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Rifester wrote:Marc? Lou Jr.? Are you out there? Here is the perfect chance for the two of you to work together and design an awesome theme together. LMDE wants you (or if I am being perfectly honest I would love to have a couple of themes designed by you and know it would help LMDE)!

Rifester
I see where they have already been summoned :lol: I totally agree they are the best for the job. :mrgreen:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

OK guys I am in if Lou is. :D
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I am sure Lou will..... you too are great at desktop themes
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

ikey wrote:@gotjazz:
I'm all over Orta and RaveH20 myself :) Never did play with the elementary stuff, might give it a look-see.
I'd prefer something modern looking but not OTT, and especially nothing that imitates other systems or
looks like a throwback to Windows 95 lol. That's just my take on it, how about other people?
no don't play with elementary (that would be too close to the main edition anyway) - play with equinox ;)
you can get debian packages for the engine and and the themes from hadret's repo
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

Awesome Marc! We will twist Lou's arm if need be... ;) I am not nearly as artistic as you guys but if I can help in anyway, or offer an end user opinion, don't hesitate to call upon me!
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Just a thought, what could this do for our ranking on Distrowatch :shock:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just a couple ideas:
- Orta is great (is the theme i'm using) but has a few questions: a) uses 3 engines, so is not the lightest; b) the pixbuf engine available in LMDE repo is an old version, and Orta is optimized to the new one, and this may cause visual glitches in some apps. More in Orta's page in deviantArt http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... a#/d31mal5)

- As for wallpapers i would prefer a branded an and unbranded version if possible
Last edited by zerozero on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I will talk with Lou more and see what we can come up with. :D Thanks Rifester for offering to help and thank you to all of you for thinking of Lou and Me, I hope we are able to deliver what you are looking for. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you can count me in aswell to "trash" my laptop with pre-alpha releases :lol: :lol: , it's i think the most i can do, but will do it with pleasure
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

count me in for alpha testing if needed :D
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

samw here :) - been getting bored of fedora rawhide on my spare partition anyway
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Well I pretty useless at everything except maybe for a background or two.
I'll give it a shot if you want me to.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “LMDE Archive”