Hadrets PPA breaks mintUpdate

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
psych1610

Hadrets PPA breaks mintUpdate

Post by psych1610 »

Hey all! I just installed LMDE to a working system, rather than virtual box, and unfortunately I'm still trying to break it. It's a disorder I tell you!

I can't tell if this is by design or unintentional but enabling hadrets PPA seems to break mintUpdate. Keep in mind that nothing has been installed from this PPA, it has just been enabled.

So I enabled the PPA, went to refresh mintUpdate, and tried to install updates. mintUpdate found the updates from this PPA (I know they're from here because 2 minutes before I had just installed previous updates and if I disable it they go away) but when going to install them it asks me to "Please fix broken packages" before quitting.

Of course, I panic and think I broke my system! So I run to Synaptic and tell it to fix broken packages of which they are none. So I reboot and try again. mintUpdate still yells at me to fix the packages. In a stroke of stupidity I disabled the PPA and refreshed to see what would happen and, voila, it works!

Even if mintUpdate can't handle this PPA informing the user that packages are broken and then quitting is undesirable behavior. At the very least I think the window for it should remain open and the error message for this should be changed. If things aren't broken the update shouldn't say they are.

Thoughts on this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motub

Re: Hadrets PPA breaks mintUpdate

Post by motub »

What my (fairly limited) testing shows is that it's not Hadret's PPA that causes my mintUpdate to fail, but the Debian experimental repository (upon which Hadret's experimental PPA depends). I can enable Sid repositories and Hadret's unstable repo and Mint update works fine. As soon as I activate the Debian experimental repo, I get the red X with the following error:

Code: Select all

E:Fout, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve maakte scheidingen aan, dit kan veroorzaakt worden door vastgehouden pakketten.
(Error, pkgProblemResolver:: Resolve separations made, this may be caused by held packages.)
I presume this is caused by the fact that the Experimental repo is not 'complete' as the warning states. Since the Hadret experimental repo depends on the Debian experimental repo, naturally enabling it will cause mintUpdate to choke (since you must enable the Debian experimental for Hadret's experimental to work properly).

psych1610, you have not mentioned which Hadret's repo you were trying to use, or indeed whether you're running a 64-bit or 32-bit system (I'm still 32-bit, which may also make a difference), so I don't know if my results will apply to you.

I would like to know, however, if this error I'm receiving is just "the cost of doing business" if you're trying to enable an experimental repository, or if a resolution might be possible or forthcoming in the future (as the mintUpdate tool is fine-tuned for the rolling release structure).
pollanza

Post by pollanza »

I think hadret's repo is down, because since today it also gives me an error when I update software through synaptic. I've debian repositories on testing and hadret's on unstable.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Hi, thanks so much for responding. I'm using a 64-bit system. I currently have both the unstable and experimental repositories in my sources.list. At the time of testing neither the unstable nor experimental Debian repositories were enabled.

Had I done a bit more reading I might have realized that Debians experimental repositories are required for Hadrets experimental one to work. I'll look at this closer over the next few days and see what I can find out now that I have a little more information and something to go on.

It might be worth noting that your error does not appear to be the same one as my own, however, they sound suspiciously similar.

Appreciate your work!

Return to “LMDE Archive”