kernel 2.6.38 in Debian repos!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

kernel 2.6.38 in Debian repos!

Post by ddavid123 »

I was playing with Debian Sid (unstable) tonight and I noticed that the kernel was up for and upgrade! The update manager asked me if I wanted to do a safe upgrade, but knowing me I said no! I then had to check all the packages that were automatically unchecked and proceeded with the upgrade. After the upgrade, including the new kernel, I rebooted! Everything seems to be OK! It may be me, but the boot process seemed to be a bit quicker after the upgrade, and the system felt a bit peppier!

Any idea when the new kernel will make it into the testing repositories? If I were a betting man, I would say between 2-6 months.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: kernel 2.6.38 in Debian repos!

Post by vincent »

As a side note...packages in unstable land in testing after 10 days, assuming that within these 10 days, no RC bugs are reported, and all of the package's dependencies also migrate to testing as well (that's why sometimes there's a huge wave of updates available). Of course, this being the kernel and all, there's bound to be plenty of bugs reported against it, so 10 days is highly unlikely; a few months is a more logical guess indeed. (Just a quick explanation if anyone was wondering about this.)

http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux-2.6.html
efen

Post by efen »

I installed it a couple of days ago, still seems to work perfect :D
required a few dependencies from sid, but it broke nothing in current system:
linux-base_3_all
linux-headers-2.6.38-1-686_2.6.38-1_i386
linux-headers-2.6.38-1-common_2.6.38-1_i386
linux-image-2.6.38-1-686_2.6.38-1_i386
linux-kbuild-2.6.38_2.6.38-1_i386
that's all I needed to run it
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

sweet, I just updated too, I've been waiting for this to try with the new ati video driver, all is good over here, noticeable improvements
jvossler

Post by jvossler »

Great! I have been waiting for this. I updated to the 2.6.38 kernel on my main edition machine and was wanting to do it with my LMDE one. As a favor for those that are new to LMDE/Debian, could someone post specific instructions on how to upgrade the kernel for this edition? There is plenty of info for the Ubuntu base but I have found nothing for LMDE. Thanks.
vincent

Post by vincent »

The 2.6.38 kernel is only available in Debian Unstable (not yet in Testing), which means that you have to add unstable to your sources.list in order to update your kernel. If you're new to Debian/LMDE, I wouldn't really advise mixing packages from stable/testing/unstable unless you're familiar with APT pinning. Alternatively, 2.6.38 is also offered through the Liquorix kernel, as another option for Debian/LMDE users.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I installed the Liquorix 2.6.38 kernel yesterday evening and noticed a huge decline in temperature on my machine. Web page rendering was very fast as well. I haven't had time to really mess with things, but so far it works great on my LMDE.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

vincent wrote:The 2.6.38 kernel is only available in Debian Unstable (not yet in Testing), which means that you have to add unstable to your sources.list in order to update your kernel. If you're new to Debian/LMDE, I wouldn't really advise mixing packages from stable/testing/unstable unless you're familiar with APT pinning. Alternatively, 2.6.38 is also offered through the Liquorix kernel, as another option for Debian/LMDE users.
Here's all I added to my sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
so although it says "sid" I didn't actually install an entire sid repo at all, just the liquorix kernel repo that is labelled as sid. Curious if any negatives can come from it at this point now that it's installed and running ok? Anything I should watch for or expect down the road?
xircon

Post by xircon »

TBABill wrote:
vincent wrote:The 2.6.38 kernel is only available in Debian Unstable (not yet in Testing), which means that you have to add unstable to your sources.list in order to update your kernel. If you're new to Debian/LMDE, I wouldn't really advise mixing packages from stable/testing/unstable unless you're familiar with APT pinning. Alternatively, 2.6.38 is also offered through the Liquorix kernel, as another option for Debian/LMDE users.

so although it says "sid" I didn't actually install an entire sid repo at all, just the liquorix kernel repo that is labelled as sid. Curious if any negatives can come from it at this point now that it's installed and running ok? Anything I should watch for or expect down the road?
What graphics card are you running? I have an ATI Mobilty Radeon HD5000 series, can't get liquorix to work.
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
I'll suggest U installi smxi: http://smxi.org/
and run sgfxi from there.
read tutorials first.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Done that, got the tee shirt, been talking to the developer :)
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I have an Intel Core i3 processor and my computer uses the on-chip integrated GPU. And I did install smxi.
vincent

Post by vincent »

TBABill wrote:

Debian's official 2.6.38 kernel (in Sid) is not the same as Damentz's Liquorix kernels; for the latter, yes, you do not have to actually add Sid to your sources.list. (That's why I mentionned it as an alternative above)

Return to “LMDE Archive”