The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Linut Mint 5 Fluxbox CE RC 1

Post by merlwiz79 »

The Fluxbox Community Edition has been released.
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=285

Bug reports go here:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16784

Release Notes:(Should Read)
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_fluxbox.php

I'll be uploading the torrent at max. (50 - 70 kb/s )
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Post by merlwiz79 »

kei wrote:i'm already downloading it, it's just what i was waiting for, but i have only a doubt, wich version of fluxbox use it?, the latest release of fluxbox jus came out a short time ago
It's using the old version.
The new version hasn't been added to the Hardy repos and I'm not sure when it will.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Just ran FluxboxCE on my wife's 6 yr old Toshiba laptop... just running the live CD. It runs great! so far so good! :)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

kei wrote:i didn't knew where to post the bugs, but well herte it goes, i'm using this edition, testing it and stuff, and some weird thing is that when y press shutdown in the shutdown menu, it doesn't turn off the PC, its like the OS is shut but the pc don't, i will keep looking for bugs, so the next release will be even better than this =D
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=16784

That is the link to the thread where issues concerning the RC are being discussed. I will post a response there to keep everything in one place.
becatlibra

Post by becatlibra »

ShadeTree wrote:Please disregard, the RC1 version came out the day after I posted this. With this method you would not have the opportunity to readjust all your settings and get used to the new applications.

ShadeTree
So what is the 'correct' path to upgrade? I have run debian, redhat, centos, etc (even ubuntu) and there has tended to be a guide. If I am using 4 flux how to upgrade to 5 'correctly'?

Is it as you suggested, simply changing repos? It would seem not as you said "Please Disregard" . . . so then what method should be taken?

Thanks

Benjamin
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

becatlibra wrote: So what is the 'correct' path to upgrade? I have run debian, redhat, centos, etc (even ubuntu) and there has tended to be a guide. If I am using 4 flux how to upgrade to 5 'correctly'?

Is it as you suggested, simply changing repos? It would seem not as you said "Please Disregard" . . . so then what method should be taken?

Thanks

Benjamin
Unfortunately, there is no correct way to upgrade from Mint 4 Fluxbox. Although the upgrading of the base Ubuntu packages should be the same as upgrading any other Ubuntu based distro, there have been quite a few changes in the way Fluxbox and other Mint specific apps work. Not to mention that Mint 4 FB is more a trimmed down Mint 4 XFCE, whereas Mint 5 FB is built up from Ubuntu 8.04 minimal install... so that might cause other problems. Then there's also the fact that AFAIK the Mint 5 FB specific packages have not yet been included in the Mint repos...

In short, there are too many changes and variables to guarantee a clean and fool proof way to upgrade. A clean install is the recommended way to go. You could try ShadeTree's method, but you won't be getting the Mint 5 FB features.
becatlibra

Post by becatlibra »

Okay - well let me ask this - is a full release planned? One that is polished/finished? My understanding is that the Flux4 version I am running was never actually 'completed'
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

becatlibra wrote:Okay - well let me ask this - is a full release planned? One that is polished/finished? My understanding is that the Flux4 version I am running was never actually 'completed'
yes a final is planned. we are still in the public beta testing phase.
becatlibra

Post by becatlibra »

Is there a mailing list which I can sign up for. Possibly I can help with the code - or at least something to let me know when it is done?

thanks
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

becatlibra wrote:Is there a mailing list which I can sign up for. Possibly I can help with the code - or at least something to let me know when it is done?

thanks
current discussions on the public beta are this thread

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=16784
wrender

Post by wrender »

Is Mint 5 Fluxbox still active? Or is it shifting to development towards a Mint 6 version?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

the final release is under going testing by the team... hang in there :D
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrreality13 »

Nice job to all,I been using it for a few weeks now and its smooth
i love the simplicity of flux box
**(added bonus it keeps prying eyes out as im the only one i know in my circle of people who uses linux so flux confuses them to all hell :twisted: )
Keep up the good work :mrgreen:
ku

Post by ku »

what do you mean, could mint 6 flux get released (or at least rc-ed) anytime relatively soon (like at least a first rc in 2-4 weeks)? and will there be a 64-bit version?
not being a dev or ever have had maintained a distro or anything comparable, i really don't see a huge difference between making a x86 and a x86_64 version of the same distro version (please correct me :) ).
anyway, i'm really looking forwarward to, please feel free to cool me down :)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi,

I am working on the Fluxbox Felicia edition but I in my opinion I have to tackle some issues that were raised after the Fluxbox Elyssa release. The main issue being resource usage of the distro. Many people were not happy with a Fluxbox distro being as heavy as the Elyssa version was. This means diverging even further from what the other Mint distributions are doing and even from what Ubuntu is doing. It has turned out to be harder than I thought initially and so I will require more time. I will try to have it ready ASAP but it does remain a ready-when-done affair.

I have completely rewritten the menu system. It now works much better as a menu system than the previous version. It categorizes applications more accurately and the icon searching algorithm is spot on. As a bonus it uses less resources on idle than the previous version. However, the initial menu generation is pretty CPU intensive compared to the previous version.

I have also rewritten how the Quit dialog works... You will now be able to Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend, etc without having to enter an admin password. This is done without editing sudoers and so there is no risk of messing that up... that was the main reason the Elyssa version did not give these permissions to users.

I have replaced gdm with slim. This has been the biggest change yet... and I am still working on it. So much in Ubuntu and Mint uses gdm that a lot of work has to go into making it work right. Slim not having an auto log in ability is causing a bit of a headache with the LiveCD... :roll:

I plan on making the LiveCD run even lighter than an installed system. I'm sure many will appreciate this.

Anyway... there is quite a lot to be done and I can only do as much as time will allow. But I'm glad at least some are looking forward to it... I appreciate your enthusiasm and will try my best to get it done soon.

shane.
tawan

Post by tawan »

good luck shane :D sounds like lots of hard work but will be appreciated. I am just spreading my field of interest to fluxbox and your felicia fluxbox will be my first look at it.
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

shane wrote:Hi,

I am working on the Fluxbox Felicia edition but I in my opinion I have to tackle some issues that were raised after the Fluxbox Elyssa release. The main issue being resource usage of the distro. Many people were not happy with a Fluxbox distro being as heavy as the Elyssa version was. This means diverging even further from what the other Mint distributions are doing and even from what Ubuntu is doing. It has turned out to be harder than I thought initially and so I will require more time. I will try to have it ready ASAP but it does remain a ready-when-done affair.

I have completely rewritten the menu system. It now works much better as a menu system than the previous version. It categorizes applications more accurately and the icon searching algorithm is spot on. As a bonus it uses less resources on idle than the previous version. However, the initial menu generation is pretty CPU intensive compared to the previous version.

I have also rewritten how the Quit dialog works... You will now be able to Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend, etc without having to enter an admin password. This is done without editing sudoers and so there is no risk of messing that up... that was the main reason the Elyssa version did not give these permissions to users.

I have replaced gdm with slim. This has been the biggest change yet... and I am still working on it. So much in Ubuntu and Mint uses gdm that a lot of work has to go into making it work right. Slim not having an auto log in ability is causing a bit of a headache with the LiveCD... :roll:

I plan on making the LiveCD run even lighter than an installed system. I'm sure many will appreciate this.

Anyway... there is quite a lot to be done and I can only do as much as time will allow. But I'm glad at least some are looking forward to it... I appreciate your enthusiasm and will try my best to get it done soon.

shane.

When you say Resource usage are you talking about Performance issues or the size of the Distro?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Gnarly wrote:When you say Resource usage are you talking about Performance issues or the size of the Distro?
I mean performance issues like boot speed and RAM usage in LiveCD and also installed system. Things like that.
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

shane wrote:
Gnarly wrote:When you say Resource usage are you talking about Performance issues or the size of the Distro?
I mean performance issues like boot speed and RAM usage in LiveCD and also installed system. Things like that.

Ok thanks. Well I wish I knew how to help. Thanks for your devotion to this project. I am looking forward to installing it. :D
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

sounds like quite a job shane, but it also sounds like you are on the right track! I especially like that you have stuck to your guns on using slim, it will be worth it in the end. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Return to “Software & Applications”