Fluxbox XFCE overlap - adjustments

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Fluxbox XFCE overlap - adjustments

Postby Lutherian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:20 am

First off. To the guys that decided to combine the speed of fluxbox with the super-user-friendly Linux Mint -> You guys are amazing. Thanks you so very
much.

Because of the way linux mint has been packaged, it was very easy for me to setup most of my applications and eye candy.
The remaining systems to be changed are applications like thunar - they now seem out of place with the rest of my system which is based on a tango
type theme. I realise that I'm actually moving out of the Fluxbox zone and into the xfce zone - so I'm not sure which is the best place to post this.
The smart chaps that put this fluxbox version together placed it on top of the xfce system, a wise move in terms of resources usage etc.

My question is this:

How do I get to change the themes for xfce applications such as thunar on the fluxbox version of Linux Mint.
Lutherian
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fluxbox XFCE overlap - adjustments

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:20 pm

My experience with fluxbox is close to zilch
shane, the developer of the first beta, is slowly working on an Elyssa fluxbox - unfortunately he does not have much time to spare so progress is slow...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby maybeway36 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Look for a program to change your default GTK theme. gtk-theme-switch might work.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lutherian on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am

thanks maybeway36 .. I'm almost there.
I did install via the sudo command.
I ran it via normal terminal and "root" sudo -s -H and in both cases it brought up a menu with some themes to choose from.
I tried a couple, but in each case of I saw the following error message in the terminal

Code: Select all
Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libsmooth.so",
/home/xxxxxxx/.gtkrc.mine:3: error: unexpected identifier `gtk-icon-theme-name', expected keyword - e.g. `style'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkentry.c: line 440 (gtk_entry_set_text): assertion `text != NULL' failed.

I feel I'm getting closer though (^_^)
Lutherian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi!

Which version of Fluxbox CE are you using? It's been a while since Daryna Fluxbox CE... i think gtk-theme-switch is what we used... and this defines the the GTK theme in ~/.gtkrc.mine if I remember correctly.

In the current Elyssa Fluxbox CE GTK, themes and also icon themes are handled by xfce-mcs-manager. To configure these, run xfce-setting-show which will bring the XFCE settings manager. From here it should be pretty straight forward.

[EDIT] I just saw that your original post was in august... so the problem you are facing is that the theme settings are being stored in 2 different places for different apps (i think). Check if xfce-mcs-manager is run in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file. This should load the theme settings for XFCE apps. Then xfce-setting-show manager should solve your problem.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Others