Fluxbox CD vs Fluxbuntu

Forums for the Fluxbox Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fluxbox CD vs Fluxbuntu

Postby Lutherian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 am

Whilst I will always have respect for Ubuntu and all it's done, and I acknowledge that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, I would like to make this statement.
Linux Mint Fluxbox edition is what Fluxbuntu should have been.

In my experience:

Fluxbuntu ISO doesn't work - someone (In Germany I think) remastered it and put it up on a torrent because of this.
Once that's done, you'll still have to download a lot of codecs and essentials like MPlayer etc. Linux Mint Fluxbox works out the box. (Understandably, Ubuntu with corporate backing, is restricted due to copyright issues)
The fluxbuntu website is pretty, but devoid of information about the faulty ISO.

I would love to see Linux Mint Fluxbox version based on the Hardy Heron Repos. Even if it's labeled BETA and there is NEVER a final version - I don't care.
I'd rather use a "BETA" that works well than a "Final Version" that doesn't even install.

My wishlist:
    Linux Mint Fluxbox - Based on Ubuntu 8.04
    Fluxbox: Rounded Corners options on by default
    e-mail: Claws
    editor: gvim or cream and mousepad
    file manager: PCMANFM
    wbar at the bottom of screen for newbies "Ohhh it looks like a mac"
    Music Manager #1 -> cplay with it's own terminal colour config for *real* lighweight music management
    Music Manager #2 -> aTunes - heck, mplayer's already installed so why not use aTunes, a Java app front end with cover art, lyrics and all the amarok stuff)
    IM #1 Pidgin
    IM #2 Finch (terminal ncurses-type pidgin .. or is it Pidgeon :/)
    OpenOffice (Not lightweight but it works)
    Web #1 FireFox 3.0 (Uses less memory apparently, but some add ons won't work)
    Web#2 elinks from the fluxbox menu (Get newbies used to lightweight terminals for quick sessions)
    snownews - from fluxbox menu for a taste of CLI news readers
    newsreader gui type ... liferea perhaps?
    video editor: avidemux
    dvd ripping: acidrip
    Pictures: Picasa
    Pictures: The Gimp
    Pictures: InkScape
    Google Earth
    Sound Volume on menu
    conky with battery monitor
Generally, put all those CLI, Ncurses type programs in the Fluxbox menu. Many folks don't know that these items exist. Eg. I had my PC for 2 years before I realized that I had elinks, snownews and cplay already installed - they're not pretty, but damn they're fast, and in the morning when I'm having my coffee I want to read the news *quickly* I don't want to wait for the GUI bloat to load. (^_^)

Any other ideas?
Last edited by Lutherian on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lutherian
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fluxbox CD vs Fluxbuntu

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:46 am

Well you'll be happy to know that there is work going on on an Elyssa fluxbox - but it is a community edition and it's hard to say when (if) it arrives
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lutherian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:34 pm

That is music to my ears.
I wish I could contribute, but I'm not a programmer.
If there is anything I can do to help (besides code), please let me know.
Lutherian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:37 pm

A financial contribution perhaps
http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
We're way to shy with this.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lutherian on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 am

I was thinking of that, but my countries currency is so weak against the Euro, I wish there was some way a person could use a tax rebate system for support of "Educational Institutions".
If a lightweight version of linux (like this one) ends up being used on old donated computers in schools, that would provide justification for sponsorship (corporate or government) for continued development of that system... I've had this idea about getting linux into schools in developing countries for a while now, I'm going start a sideline project, it will take about 8 months I think.
No shame in asking for financial support :D :D
Lutherian
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Fluxbox