Tablet users? Possible new app...

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Tablet users? Possible new app...

Postby rogue_ronin on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey,

I use LM Fluxbox CE on an HP TC1100 tablet. It's pretty great.

Aside from system-wide handwriting recognition, one of the apps that is missing for the full Tablet Experience is something like OneNote. Linux has a lot of Journal clones (Xournal, Jarnal, etc.) but nothing that integrates a full suite of note-taking apps.

Well, there is an app, but for Nokia Internet Tablets only, on the Maemo platform.

I've been emailing with the developer of MaemoPad+, which is originally for the Nokia 770, N8x0 and N9x0 internet tablets. Maemopad+ supports RichEdit text, checklists and sketches (including shapes). It's as close to OneNote as there is in the Linux world -- but it's always only been for Hildon and Nokia tablets. I think, but cannot currently recall, that it can annotate PDFs, as well.

He's done a rough port to Ubuntu, as seen here, without any dependencies on Gnome, just GTK.

He's asking for some small financial support to finish the port (around $150 US) -- and I'm wondering if anyone here would consider contributing. I have, but I cannot spring for the entire cost.

If he were to complete the port, it would be the premiere note-taking tablet app on Linux, immediately. If anyone is interested in supporting such a port, PM me and I'll give you his PayPal address.

m a r

Keywords: one-note, linux, development, donations
rogue_ronin
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Tablet users? Possible new app...

Postby exploder on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

You might ask this on the Ubuntu forum too, maybe you can get enough people to donate.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Tablet users? Possible new app...

Postby rogue_ronin on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:17 pm

That's funny -- just got back after a meeting.

I did post there right after posting here -- I think I posted here first because the community personality is much friendlier.

m a r
rogue_ronin
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Others