[SOLVED] How to speed up Fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to speed up Fluxbox

Post by Mazhar »

Hi all,

I am happily using fluxbox in a slow computer. It will be nice to speed up more, because sometimes it takes 'unusually longer time' to open a file / program.

Please advise me, how to speed up fluxbox (linux mint 8 fluxbox CE).

increase the size of swap partition? (I can do it, I have some disk space free).
remove some programs that I do not use? (I can do it, but I am confused, I may remove a shared library).
remove some features that I do not need? (how to do it, I don't know).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to speed up Fluxbox?

Post by shane »

You can disable services that you do not use or use only rarely... e.g. I usually disable printing and bluetooth. You can do this using the 'sysv-rc-conf' command line tool. If you don't know what a service is from the name, just search on google or for the package in synaptic and it will tell you. Run 'sudo sysv-rc-conf' and move around with the cursor keys and enable/disable services using the space bar. To disable, uncheck all boxes for a specific service. You can always start a service when you need it. e.g. to start bluetooth run 'sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start'

You can also comment out apps that you do not need from the fluxbox startup file... ~/.fluxbox/startup . Just add a # at the beginning of a line to disable the app.

You can use preload to get an extra performance boost. http://www.howtoforge.com/speed-up-your ... buntu-9.04

Increasing swap is only useful if it gets filled up. You can see how full it is by running 'free' in the terminal. If you are talking about hardware, getting a better CPU and more RAM will give you better performance... but you didn't need me to tell you that :P
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to speed up Fluxbox?

Post by Mazhar »

shane wrote:You can disable services that you do not use or use only rarely... e.g. I usually disable printing and bluetooth. You can do this using the 'sysv-rc-conf' command line tool. If you don't know what a service is from the name, just search on google or for the package in synaptic and it will tell you. Run 'sudo sysv-rc-conf' and move around with the cursor keys and enable/disable services using the space bar. To disable, uncheck all boxes for a specific service. You can always start a service when you need it. e.g. to start bluetooth run 'sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start'

You can also comment out apps that you do not need from the fluxbox startup file... ~/.fluxbox/startup . Just add a # at the beginning of a line to disable the app.

You can use preload to get an extra performance boost. http://www.howtoforge.com/speed-up-your ... buntu-9.04

Increasing swap is only useful if it gets filled up. You can see how full it is by running 'free' in the terminal. If you are talking about hardware, getting a better CPU and more RAM will give you better performance... but you didn't need me to tell you that :P
Thank you so much dear shane for your detailed advice.
Satisfied. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”