Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby lKingjr on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 am

morning, I'm running various flavors of Mint in VirtualBox including Mint 10 rc. my question is, can I upgrade Fluxbox 9 to Fluxbox 10 rc (so to speak)?

thanks
Last edited by lKingjr on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
User avatar
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10 rc"?

Postby lKingjr on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:35 am

okay, now that the release of Linux Mint 10 is out. can I upgrade Fluxbox 9 to a Fluxbox 10??
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
User avatar
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby richyrich on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 pm

No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4771
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Pirating somewhere along the North Saskatchewan River, Canada

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby lKingjr on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 pm

richyrich wrote:No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.


ok thanks
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
User avatar
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby daquirm on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Strange I haven't evene noticed that Mint Fluxbox 10 RC is out, where is it possible to get it?
daquirm
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Prague, CZ

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby viking777 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 pm

lKingjr wrote:
richyrich wrote:No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.


ok thanks


You don't have to wait at all. I am running Fluxbox on Mint 10 and it works very well (better than gnome in fact). All you have to do is install the packages 'fluxbox' and 'fluxconf' to Mint 10 then copy the files '.fluxbox' and '.mint-fm2' from Mint9 to you home folder on Mint 10 (note they are 'dot' files ie hidden unless you press Ctl/h in Nautilus) then log out and change the DE to Fluxbox. It all works perfectly for me.

Of course it won't be exactly the same as Mint10 Fluxbox CE, but then you won't have to wait for all that Flux goodness either and you will also have access to all the gnome tools as well as the flux ones (they won't all work, but a lot of them will). As an example if you type 'mintmenu' into a run dialog you will get the entire mintmenu on your desktop which you wont get on the Fluxbox CE alone, that gives you a lot more flexibility although heavier overheads if you have a very low powered system.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Image
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby lKingjr on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 am

viking777 wrote:
lKingjr wrote:
richyrich wrote:No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.


ok thanks


You don't have to wait at all. I am running Fluxbox on Mint 10 and it works very well (better than gnome in fact). All you have to do is install the packages 'fluxbox' and 'fluxconf' to Mint 10 then copy the files '.fluxbox' and '.mint-fm2' from Mint9 to you home folder on Mint 10 (note they are 'dot' files ie hidden unless you press Ctl/h in Nautilus) then log out and change the DE to Fluxbox. It all works perfectly for me.

Of course it won't be exactly the same as Mint10 Fluxbox CE, but then you won't have to wait for all that Flux goodness either and you will also have access to all the gnome tools as well as the flux ones (they won't all work, but a lot of them will). As an example if you type 'mintmenu' into a run dialog you will get the entire mintmenu on your desktop which you wont get on the Fluxbox CE alone, that gives you a lot more flexibility although heavier overheads if you have a very low powered system.


thanks, sorry to take so long to get back. I installed a fresh LM10 then added XFCE and Fluxbox. they all work but when you do something like this, isn't some of gnome, fluxbox, xfce running underneath the others? doesn't that take away from some of the advantages of each?

thanks
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
User avatar
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby viking777 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 am

thanks, sorry to take so long to get back. I installed a fresh LM10 then added XFCE and Fluxbox. they all work but when you do something like this, isn't some of gnome, fluxbox, xfce running underneath the others? doesn't that take away from some of the advantages of each?

thanks


If you have to ask "are there any disadvantages" then my interpretation of that is you can't actually see any (neither can I) in which case you stick with what you have got.

If you do see any disadvantages then use your present system until fluxbox CE comes out and then run that instead.

The only disadvantages that I can think of are those I mentioned in my first post ie. If you have a low powered system you will probably be using more resources. On my machine it would be impossible to notice any difference.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Image
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Postby lKingjr on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:26 am

viking777 wrote:
thanks, sorry to take so long to get back. I installed a fresh LM10 then added XFCE and Fluxbox. they all work but when you do something like this, isn't some of gnome, fluxbox, xfce running underneath the others? doesn't that take away from some of the advantages of each?

thanks


If you have to ask "are there any disadvantages" then my interpretation of that is you can't actually see any (neither can I) in which case you stick with what you have got.

If you do see any disadvantages then use your present system until fluxbox CE comes out and then run that instead.

The only disadvantages that I can think of are those I mentioned in my first post ie. If you have a low powered system you will probably be using more resources. On my machine it would be impossible to notice any difference.


thanks. I just wonder about people who say they prefer something like Fluxbox then load it up with everything and the "kitchen sink". I actually run any Linux as guests in VirtualBox but even then isn't much of a difference resource-wise for me. I have enough "omph" to run whatever I choose. :D
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
User avatar
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Others

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest