Per workspace wallpapers in Fluxbox

Forums for the Fluxbox Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Per workspace wallpapers in Fluxbox

Postby th!erry on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 am

Hi there,

This feature has been around for a long time, but most tutorials are obsolete and point to broken sources so here's just an update.

First you will need fluxter which is available here (the source on the fluxter homepage doesn't compile anymore):

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=x11-wm&portname=fluxter
http://www.hydrus.org.uk/download.html

Now with fluxter compiled and installed it's very easy:

Copy the file /usr/local/share/fluxbox/fluxter.bb to your ~/.fluxbox folder
And edit the following lines like this:

!** position of fluxter window **
fluxter.position: +1200+1200

This actually sends the pager out of my display or in the background. I prefer ipager.
You will also probably need a few lines similar to these in your apps file:

[app] (name=fluxter) (class=fluxter)
[Position] (CENTER) {1200 1200}
[end]

!** background changes **

fluxter.workspace0.rootCommand: feh --bg-scale /path/to/picture/picture1 && kill -s usr2 `pgrep fluxbox` && xrefresh
fluxter.workspace1.rootCommand: feh --bg-scale /path/to/picture/picture2 && kill -s usr2 `pgrep fluxbox` && xrefresh
fluxter.workspace2.rootCommand: feh --bg-scale /path/to/picture/picture3 && kill -s usr2 `pgrep fluxbox` && xrefresh
fluxter.workspace3.rootCommand: feh --bg-scale /path/to/picture/picture4 && kill -s usr2 `pgrep fluxbox` && xrefresh

Make sure the rootCommand in your init file is deactivated. After running feh I reload the Fluxbox config to make sure everything gets refreshed correctly. It works perfectly here, and I can't see any difference in terms of speed when switching workspace.

This won't make you more productive but well... I think it's a cool feature.

Edit 03 Mar 2011: A small addendum, I just found this in "man fluxbox-keys":

# Set a different wallpaper on every workspace:
ChangeWorkspace :Exec fbsetbg ~/.fluxbox/bg$(xprop -root _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP | awk '{print $3}').png

With the above it doesn't seem to be possible to assign a specific background picture to a workspace which is what I wanted. But it's much easier and had to be mentioned for the sake of completeness.
th!erry
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Fluxbox