Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Forums for the Fluxbox Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Postby crumpets on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:28 am

Hi! Im new to this forum, and new/old to linux in general. I used to use linux as desktop back in 2003, first slackware followed by the first fedora core version.
I recently rediscovered it when using ubuntu on my old server, and looking around for linux for my laptop I kind of fell for the whole mint-thing. Now I am very nostalgic about discovering fluxbox/blackbox in 2003, and I always kind of wanted to go back to that perfectly minimalistic experience even though my computer isnt low-end.

But it seems mint fluxbox is going through some major changes for version 10 and that it might take a while, so Im simply wondering: is it worth it to download and install mint fluxbox 9, or would it be better to go with another right now?
crumpets
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Postby richyrich on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 am

Mint 9 Fluxbox is a Long Term Support release (LTS) . . which means it will be actively supported for 3 years !

I love it !

Release info and links here : http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_fluxbox.php

Welcome, and enjoy !
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby crumpets on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 am

Oh! Sometimes I just suck. I had completely missed that it was based on ubuntu 10.04... I thought it was a much older version. Well, that's it. I'll try it :)
crumpets
Level 1
Level 1

Postby crumpets on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Just stopping by to tell you the installation went smoothly! Everything including my ancient bluetooth chip worked like a charm 8) Only needed some configuring of wvdial to get my 3g-modem up and running too, which wasnt to much of a hassle.

Im once again deeply in love with fluxbox :D It's all I could ever want from a desktop gui.
crumpets
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kendall on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Glad you're enjoying it. I too remain quite a Fluxbox junkie regardless of whatever else comes floating along.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Imhoteps on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm

crumpets wrote:..is it worth it to download and install mint fluxbox 9, or would it be better to go with another right now?

You won`t regret it, dude! It`s.. just.. brilliant! (@ least in my humble opinion).
Windows 8: Designed to fail
Imhoteps
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Fluxbox