Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm

molom wrote:
xsak wrote:A tiny suggestion: As this is a "light" version, I think gdm login manager should be replaced by slim (http://slim.berlios.de).

I think this should be used instead if it saves a decent amount of mb's and is faster.

Cheers,
molom

Most of the mint apps rely on GDM, including the default settings.
If this was removed nothing would work like it does.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby glenn69 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:21 am

That's weird, I just tested with the Live CD and it worked fine.
I wrote the original script for Fluxbox, it adds all the defaults to the new user and it uses gdm to do it.
/etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default should have the line:

Code: Select all
/usr/lib/linuxmint/fluxmintdefaults/fluxmint.sh

Yes that line is in the file, however it is in the file 12 times. 12 consecutive lines of the same text.
I removed all the duplicates and left one.

Did you change anything?
Nothing has been changed, other than to add the new users. It is one of the first things I tried.

If you need to get it to work, copy the .fluxbox, .idesktop and .tilda directories to the new users.
Then copy these files:
.conkyrc
.fehbg
.fehrc
.gtkrc-2.0
.ideskrc
.xsession

I copied all of these files. Still no change.
The worst effect is not being able to access thr menu via right click on the screen. The mouse pointer moves around fine, the system is not "hung." It simply won't respond to normal fluxbox input. :?

To "logout" I kill the x server with CTRL ALT BACKSPACE. That is the only thing that seems to work.
Again, this problem is ONLY for the users that I have added via the System -> Users and Groups menu item. My main user remains fine.
glenn69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:53 am

Change the permissions for those folders and files for that user, using F2.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby sascha frost on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

Hi, congratulations to this great distro, its the best Fluxboxedition I've seen for a long time although its beta.

I use Linux (not only Ubuntu) for more than two years now, but I am still a noob anyways and have two questions ^^

I understood, that I can move the desktopsymbol (instead of changing the .conkyrc) by holding the ctrl while dragging it to another place. This way might be easier for some people maybe. But I would like to know now, how to stop idesk and keeping it from startin again automatically. I love Fluxbox because of the clean and symbolfree desktop and its not a big deal to make a desktop shortcut to the Fluxboxmenu, if its needed.

My second question is, if there is a program (in development maybe) which makes it easier to build and switch between totally different designprofiles (wallpaper, Fluxmenustyle, windowborders, buttonstyle and so on) by once.

Thanks to all the people who are working on this distro!!!
sascha frost

Postby glenn69 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:52 pm

OK, problem fixed.

Recap: My system functioned fine, except for newly created users. New users could not access any fluxbox menus or any Mint specific additions. Just a blank desktop with a mouse pointer.

Solution: (Thanks to this forum) Was to do the following:
If you need to get it to work, copy the .fluxbox, .idesktop and .tilda directories to the new users.
Then copy these files:
.conkyrc
.fehbg
.fehrc
.gtkrc-2.0
.ideskrc
.xsession

However, that alone did not solve the problem.
I then had to change the permissions for the .fluxbox directory. I simply changed owner of .fluxbox directory to the user by chown -R <username> .fluxbox. I'm not sure if the recursive chown will cause problems, but it's what I did.

This however seems to be something that the create new user option should handle automatically. I've made no other changes that should affect this. Possibly something to look into.

Thanks for a great start to a fluxbox system. i really like it.
glenn69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:59 am

I read this review on the Fluxbox CE yesterday. http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/01/10 ... 6-2-256mb/

I do not agree with everything in the review but some of the comments were very positive.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby newW2 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 pm

I agree exploder. A big disappointment was that there wasn't enough emphasis placed on the fact that this was a beta release and a first. I suppose that's the price Mint (any addition) will pay due to the successes over the past year.
To all who contribute: Great job!
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bb05 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 am

absoutely love it just wish i could install this puppy over vista (formatting first of course) :)

would also be a my main switch from ubuntu over to mint since loads faster and is seems like a cleaneer install so to speak (general gui of the system itself)
bb05
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thinx on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:19 pm

I tried to configure the keybindings using the fluxkeys tool, found in the menu under fluxbox tools.
After saving my keybindings i had to realize that mouse doesnt properly work any longer.

After some search in google i found out that the fluxkeys tool is destroying the ~/.fluxboxs/keys file
by overriding the "OnDesktop" setting for Mouse Actions with "None".
As a result the you can't focus Windows anymore, and actions in the Menu, if you can open it, are ignored.

This can be undone by manualy editing your keys file and replace the "None" with "OnDesktop" again.

But i would supose to not include this tool in the distro, or at least not to link it in the Menu.
Users new to Fluxbox could get very irritated by that.

the Bug Report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fluxconf/+bug/178957

Besides that i'm very thrilled by this fluxbox-Mint Distro, looks great, feels great ! :)
At the Moment i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with fluxbox (installed over the repos, and configured by hand).
I had a look at fluxbuntu, but it could not really convince me.
Would be great to have a Mint-Fluxbox Distro :mrgreen:

I'll keep looking for bugs ;) ...
thinx

Postby hoffe on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:00 pm

sascha frost wrote:I understood, that I can move the desktopsymbol (instead of changing the .conkyrc) by holding the ctrl while dragging it to another place. This way might be easier for some people maybe. But I would like to know now, how to stop idesk and keeping it from startin again automatically. I love Fluxbox because of the clean and symbolfree desktop and its not a big deal to make a desktop shortcut to the Fluxboxmenu, if its needed.

Hi! It's not so complicated. Edit ~/.fluxbox/startup and change 'idesk &' to '#idesk &'.. There you can also add what ever you want to be started at startup!
hoffe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shane on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:26 am

hi all!

sorry for the long break in communication. thank you all for the feedback. i am on my way back home and will be back in action as of tomorrow. I will implement as many of the fixes for the issues pointed out and hopefully we will have a stable release soon.

Thanks again!

shane.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Interested passerby on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 am

Shane,
Good to see your post. Like many others, I suspect, I am really looking forward to seeing this edition progress. It's a great looking desktop and will be fantastic once the bugs are ironed out. (It is really rather excellent already.) I have it installed on an old laptop. I'd like to put it on my eeepc, but am waiting for a stable release as I'm rather timid about editing stuff (call me a noob if you like) and just want a point and click gui that works but without the bloat.
Easy access to lightweight apps would therefore be quite interesting. (I guess synaptic probably gives me that, but I'm having trouble with my broadband today which seems to be operating at glacial speeds.)
Thanks for all your hardwork.
Ian
Interested passerby

Postby Sam Hughes on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 pm

The HEAnet mirror gives weird sizes for the Fluxbox edition ISO...

The University of Crete has the full 513MB image, and I am currently downloading.
Sam Hughes

Postby exploder on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:47 pm

shane, nice to hear from you! I am anxious to see the fluxbox edition go final. I thought the beta with all of the fixes was awesome! Fast and elegant, with all of the potential to be the best fluxbox based system out there. Please keep us posted.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:42 am

hi there,

i've used in the past the first version of the fluxbuntu (1-rev2), but it seems the project came to a halt; i fact i'm interested in a ubuntu distro with fluxbox default windows manager and it's great to see the Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 has been released; i hope to see more or a final stable version

best regards

Postby shane on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:23 am

hi all,

it seems like some people think Mint FB has stagnated and they are right in a way... firstly because of my prolonged holiday and i've been playing catch-up at work since i got back. so my apologies for not having the final release out yet. I have been working bit by bit whenever i have time and merlwiz really sorted out some major issues which i would not have been able to do by myself. so a big thanks to him. that said, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer... and a have a feeling its not a train :lol: i will try to get the final out ASAP.

cheers.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Hargo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 am

Hi,

This fluxbox edition looks so great I wanted to install it on my Intel Mac Mini (I like speed). Unfortunately, Grubs gets stuck after reboot.

Thanks
Hargo

Postby sailor@moon on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 pm

I must say I love the mint-fluxbox combination. It is really sleek. No bugs to report so far as most of the ones I encountered have been reported already.

Please keep up with the good work.
sailor@moon

Postby ippokratis on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:49 am

Xgamer wrote:I have problem with Daryna Fluxbox it doesn´t boot, that the linux kernel didn´t found :| Can you help me?

Maybe the ISO file is corrupted. You must download it again, I guess. :wink:
ippokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby interested passerby on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:49 am

Hi Shane,

Any further news on whether you expect to continue working on this marvellous project? Would be great to hear that it is progressing from Beta to final release.

Hope all is well. And thanks for the work that you've done on it to date. Its a great little version.

Ian
interested passerby

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Others