adjusting the frequency of the update check?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

adjusting the frequency of the update check?

Postby Totally Infected on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi,

I'm trying the Mint Fluxbox Beta 028 and ust about everything seems to be going very smoothly. I've got it going on an old 500 MHz Pentium III from a 2000 era Dell L500r. I had previously tried the XFCE edition but hadn't been blown away by its svelteness, or lack there of.

Anyway, I've noticed that the blinking lock icon, indicating Mint is checking for updates, is blinking quite often (every 15 to 30 min I think - no exact timing by me) and I'm wondering if and where the setting to adjust the auto-update check frequency might be found? I'm thinking once/day is plenty adequate.

That's my main question, but I'm also planning on googling for instructions on adding/removing items from the desktop (desktop shortcut only thing there now, and kind of ugly :-P), changing the number of desktops (2 is plenty for my old beast), lowering the key-repeat sensitivity for my keyboard (a second on the backspace and an entire line is gone), and figuring out why I can't get Chicken-of-the-VNC to connect from my OS X machine.

answers to any of those questions would also be helpful, but I imagine in time, I'll find them out there on the tubes somewhere.

Thanks all
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: adjusting the frequency of the update check?

Postby Husse on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm

I'm no good at fluxbox but mintUpdate is the same as in the main edition - you open it and in Settings > Autorefresh you find the setting. Default is once every five and maximum every 60 minutes
I think it's a bit too frequent like you but ...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Totally Infected on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:23 pm

thanks - reset to 60 min... even though that's still a bit often, better than before
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm

In mintUpdate 2.0 you can set it up to a year Clem says
Just released
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Others